Do you think it's wrong to take your child to daycare so that you can do something other than work?

I've dropped mine off on my day off to do grocery shopping, or to catch an occasional movie or a peaceful lunch. Is that wrong?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 8:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is perfectly fine. Sometimes Mommies need a break too. If the child is in a good daycare then why not?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It's no different than a babysitter.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Not at all!

1) most day cares make you pay for it anyway so you may as well get your money's worth

2) all moms deserve a little time to themselves

3) daycare is good for children. They need the socialization, and if you have a good one (and I assume you do or you wouldn't be bringing your kids there) then there are lots of fun things for them to do - much more so than at the grocery store!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No I have taken my kid to the babysitter driven to work then decided that I couldnt do it (bad morning) so I drove home spent the work day in bed with my DH then went and got my son. Some days you just need a break or both hands!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Oh yea kids need socialization, a calm mommy!! grocery shopping is a hassle in it self some-days with lines, people bumping into you and your cart Let alone a screaming fit for sugar coated whatevers!! So a break from a little one makes you calmer.... go for it
    Midnite00

Answer by Midnite00 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No its not wrong, I think kids need that social interaction with children of their own age. its good for them! Plus you need time for yourself from time to time too!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Nope! It's good for them and even better for mommy!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My husband's ex-wife was a "stay at home mom" who dropped her oldest son off every single day from 9am to 6pm when he was a baby. Her point of view was that if she was going to pay for daycare, she was going to use every minute that she was paying for.

Personally, as a SAHM myself, I think that's repugnant.

I don't see anything wrong with dropping your kid off to a mother's day out or a half-day day care a couple of times a week. I wish I could!!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Why would it be? Daycare isn't for mother's who work and make money, it's for mother's who are in need of child care during the day. So if you have things you need to do and can afford daycare then that's what it's there for. There's no requirement that YOU have to be making money while they're in daycare.
    Anonymous

• Nope, as long as it isn't an everyday occurance. I used to bring my son to day care on my day's off just to clean, grocery shop or have some time to myself. As a single parent, I sometimes needed ME time. He was happy to be at day care with his friends and I was happy having a peaceful day to myself. Most times, on my day off, I was helping out at his day care.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2009