We have an f150 double cab, can my 2 year old ride in his car seat in the front seat if the airbag is off?

We are taking a long car ride and though switching to the front seat half way through would change things up and make the ride a little better for him if he gets fussy (which he will)

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 8:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it also depends on the seats, my mother has a double cab truck, however, if you put my daughters seat in the back seat it hangs partially over the seat and moves around, so she goes in the front seat and we turn off the airbag. its safer that way even if its the front seat. as for keeping him busy, target sells portable dvd players that plug into the car adaptor and can be placed on the headrest w/velcro, so you can take it off when you aren't in the car and don't have to worry about theft. put a small bag/suitcase next to him w/some fave toys in it, when he gets really fussy put a "new" toy in there from the dollar store it'll be something diff to catch his attention for a little while. stop at fast food places right before a rest stop, grown ups eat at the rest stop at a table, let your son run and play nearby than let him eat when you get back in the car. gets energy out, take a big bouncy ball play catch and chase at rests
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Depends on the laws in the state that you are in. I'm pretty sure here in VA that the car must not have a backseat in order for it to be lawful to have a child in a carseat in the front seat. If the car does not have a backseat then your child can be in the front as long as there is no passenger side airbag or if the airbag is disabled.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It is different in every single state, however, I do believe that, well, there's nothing you can do if you have a single cab with a bench seat or whatever type seats you have, but no backseat.
    However, if there IS a back seat, the infant must always ride in the back.
    If you're traveling through multiple states, or just one - out of your own state, I would look up their laws just in case. Or just look up a police department in the area you'll be and ask.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Check the laws of each state through which you'll be driving. Here, if there is a back seat available, the kids are not allowed in the front seat at all.

Not worth his safety to put him in front is my personal opinion.
    Anonymous