S/O of another question - Have you always wanted children of the same gender?

The question regarding being jealous of families with both boys and girls got me wondering - why do people think having both a boy and girl is the perfect family? I've always wanted children of the same gender (preferably girls). I just think it's harder for brothers/sisters to really be as close as two of the same. Plus it makes it easier to do family activities because the children's interests are more likely to be similar. Do most people really see having a boy/girl combo as ideal, or do others feel the same as me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I see a combo as a good thing. But... I don't wish for all gender kiddos, that's just out of my control.
    I did want my firstborn to be a boy, because I just believe that all men should have a boy in the family to goof off with, pass their "manly wisdom to" and just overall... know that their bloodline and last name will live on. I'm just old fashioned like that. Some people don't agree, which is fine. It's my family! :]
    I'm pregnant with my second, and most probably last, and I do want a girl. At first, i did want a girl, but knowing that this will probably be my last.. I too want a girl where I can pass my "womanly wisdom" off to, and etc.

I believe that it doesn't matter what gender you are, as long as you're pretty compatible and they're just kind of guided by parents to play nice along the way. That sort of thing. My DH and his brother are the only siblings, and they HATE each other. Absolutely despise each other.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• And my mom and her little brother get along a LOT more than her and her sisters.

It's all just a matter of personality, not gender.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i feel the same as you. I would perfer to have the same gender siblings just because it would be easier You have all the clothes toys etc for the second one.,, nice for the wallet. But i think the appeal to have both is excactly that, you get to experience both sides. As far as being close with your sibling, i think it is really hit or miss, some sibling click and some just don't. I have a sister and we were never close growing up.. it wasn't till we hit our mid 20's that we became best friends.
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I have one of each and ofcourse I think it is perfect that way. I will say that since I am so close my own sis I have secretly felt a little sad for my d that she will never have a sis. Then again my s will never have a bro either...I figure God know what he is doing and my two are close so I am happy. Liked the question though, makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? :)
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I want one of each but of course it is out of my control. We have a beautiful little girl and I want a boy the next time around. If the next time comes. I want a boy for the family name to live on. It seems old fashioned but that is me. It sounds like one of the PP's but I have always been this way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Nope, didnt really care.

I kinda hoped for at least one of each but that wasnt to be and thats cool.

I grew up with only girls and now I am raising only boys...kind of an interesting turn of events and fun challenge LOL. I get to learn new things everyday.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I always wanted boys, but I have 4 boys and soon to be 4 girls.

My boys and girls are equally lose, but the girls bicker and "fight" all the time, the boys don't, not with each other and rarely with the girls. I am not saying that they don't get on each others nerves from time to time, but my boys are definatly less dramatic.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I didn't really care. I have two boys though, both in their teens now, and wouldn't trade either one for a girl!! lol. I had two nieces, and know what girls can be like!!! :o)
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 10:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i like having two boys :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 11:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The first time, I didn't care what I got, but after having one boy, I badly wanted another. I was so relieved to see a penis on the ultrasound the second time around!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009