esthetician; anyone have any personal exp. advice ect. is it worth going to school for?

hello! i've decided i want to have a "career" & go back to school! yay! i have a goal, LOL! anyways heres my question, is anyone else an esthetician that could offer me tips or if its a worthwhile career? pros & cons to the profession?

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have a cosmetology license. This includes esthetician, hair, and nails. Personally, it was better for me just to get the whole thing. It gave me other things to fall back on. Plus, there is NOT a high demand for this line of work. I do more of the other two. What you learn in a school and what you do in the work force are very different. And every place you go to will train you their way. Honestly I tried it and I make more money doing the other two. Not to mention are you willing to rub someones face neck, and hands for 25 to 45 minutes? Squeeze zits and blackheads for people? Touch oily greasy skin, dry skin, and so much more. I could tell you some pretty gross stories!lol Some people are cool with that stuff. I guess if you like what you do! But I will say I have trouble paying back the student loans on my salary. What the school says is thier job placement rate does not mean you will actually find a job. GL!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Steff. you had me squirming in my seat. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• lol thanx! i dont want 2 do hair i just like skincare & i dont have a prob w/all the gross stuff actually. the cost 4 school isnt that bad, 1200 for esthetician, so its not breaking the bank. hopefully it'll turn into a good career choice, crossing my fingers! thanx 4 the advice
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• "& i dont have a prob w/all the gross stuff actually."

why does this not surprise me. LOL.. i hope your costumers won't be men (wink). LOLOLOL

my friend.. she used to love love love popping people's pimples.. it was gross.. she would come around our work desks looking for big blackheads or pus filled ones.. YUCK
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Just do some research and see if there are any job openings in your area for estheticians. Plus look into the school you want to attend, yes the 1200 isn't bad but usualy if you go for the full cosmetology course you can get financial aid and possible get it completely paid for.

And while you may not want to do hair, it also includes the nail tech info and you see a heck of a lot more salons and spas looking for nail techs (and frankly ones that actualy speak english is nice and rare) than estheticians. And at least knowing the hair and nails too you have some other training to fall back on. You could start your own salon, or be a "traveling" hair and nails lady who goes to the customers rather than the customers coming to you.

There is one lady in my city that does this and she is very popular.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• thanx for the advice & aasiyah u r sooo baaad! LOL
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009