hair dying

i've seen allot of ppl ask but i never read it... is it okay to dye your hair while prego? with all the fumes and what not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not recommended
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My OB said to wait until I was 4 months out.
    dawilliams0918

Answer by dawilliams0918 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My midwife said if I could stomach the smell, go ahead and do it. I skipped the highlights though because everything made me puke when I was pregnant. You actually inhale more harmful fumes each time you pump gas than you'd inhale from hair dye. There are plant extract dyes that are supposed to be more gentle, and they might not make you feel sick. So little would even touch your skin, so nothing would actually be absorbed and hurt the baby, whichever kind of dye you end up using.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i have talked to my doctor, my mid wife and my hair dresser...dying your hair IS OK!!!!! the main reason they say you shouldnt is because your hormones will change the color of the dye. so i reccomend that you go to a professional and let them know you are preggo so if they have to adjust anything they can. ! i got my hair high lighted and low lighted when i was 3 months preggo. every pregnancy book i have read says its fine, but like i said earlier the color you want may not be the color you get lol...mine turned out perfect and i have kept my hair up this whole entire pregnancy! there are going to be other moms though who feel it is very dangerous and you shouldnt do that, but seriously read up on it and ask your doc and they will tell you its fine, just make sure you have someone who knows that they are doing!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yep. I did it all the time with my first pregnancy and have done it once this time. My OB told me it's just an old wives tale. It will not effect the baby. The only thing is that during the first trimester, because of the hormones, the color might not turn out right. GL! :)
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It's perfectly safe after the first trimester. The main reason you hear it's not okay is because of the chemicals being absorbed through your scalp when the baby is still developing organs and such. I have dyed my hair with all three of my pregnancies. I would agree, however, to get the "Natural Instincts" or "Natural Match" because they have less chemicals, so they don't smell as strongly (anything without ammonia would be best). Also, your hormones do mess with your hair, so if at all possible get it done at a salon. I just died my hair a week ago (I'm 21 weeks today), and I tried to dye it back to my natural color-a dark brown- and it turned out more blackish.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My sis-in-law is in cosmetology school right now and I asked her this question. She said that you can totally keep those roots at bay as long as you know that the hormones in your system may not allow the color to do the best job and you may end up with an undesired color job. So, take your hair to a pro and let them know that you are preggers. Many physicians will tell you to wait until the end of your 1st trimester, but she said that is because your hormones tend to level out at that time and the color will work as normal. I was having a wild streak shortly after I found out I was preggers and had some purple put in. It has been beautiful for 4 weeks now.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2009