i gave birth to my beautiful son on oct11th 7lbs 3oz 20 1/2 inches long. <3 i have a after birth questions?

i gave birth vaginally .. i had the epidural .. but i tore .. and i have stitches .. and when i pee it stings really bad.. is this normal still i was told it was but it still stings ? is there anything i can put on it or use to help the stinging go away?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, congratulations on the beautiful baby boy. Secondly, those stitches, the episiotomy, are wounds of a sort, your urine is going to sting for a bit until it is completely closed. Depending on the severity of your tear, the stinging should be gone by about the 3rd week with sever tears. If the stinging sensation continues past the third week, ask your doctor about it, it means the skin has not sealed itself and you will want to be checked for an infection, just to make sure. The stinging is normal, just like when sweat drips into a cut on your arm. It's the salt and other toxins your body is flushing out that cause the pain. It's a bit of an alarm system from your body letting you know you have an open would that is being penetrated (as if we needed THAT warning...lol). Remember that part of your body stays moist so it will most likely take a little longer to heal then a cut on your arm or something like that.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 10:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• With my stitches I used Tucks pads. Just gently pat with the Tucks. The pads sting for 1 second (its not bad though), and then they have a numbing effect. My midwife recommended them. I don't remember any burning with my stitches- I had a 3rd degree tear.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I had all the same as you, but a 3rd degree tear and it did not burn when I peed. I used tucks pads (new ones every time I went to the bathroom), and sprayed dermoplast on constantly. I also took a squeeze bottle with me and filled it with fairly warm water and squrited most of it on while I went and the rest for afterwards to sanitize it a little, then pat dry, don't wipe. That really really helped me.
    Anonymous

• Dermoplast was my best friend. And I used the squirt bottle every time I used the bathroom. As the pp said, spray it while you pee and after. It really helps.
    Anonymous

• I can't remember stinging, but then again this was 3 years ago. I do remember having to be extra gentle and pat instead of wipe, and also using a spray bottle of water after patting. I remember my doctor saying something about Tucks pads also.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I had 1 stitch the first time, and it hurt when I peed for a week or so unless I used the Dermaplast, Tucks pads, and squirt bottle of warm water.
    Anonymous

• When I had my son I had tore...I used a squirt bottle of warm water and they gave me Epifoam to use.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I've used Dermo, the foam, and Bactine. My favorite was Bactine. The foam was messy, Dermo felt cold. Using a peri bottle to squirt warm water while I went to the bathroom helped a lot too.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009