Do you know a trick to getting eyedrops into a 3-year-old??

Felipe is almost three and has conjunctivitus (pink eye), so I have to put eyedrops in both eyes twice a day for five days. He hates it! Any advice??? Thank you!!!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Either find a straight jacket, or lay him down and put the drops on the bridge of his nose right by the corner of his eye, then roll his head to the side so the drops run into the eye. My dd had pick eye a couple times, and our neighbor gave me that advice. you'll end up using more of the drops that way (like 1 or 2 extra for each dose) because a little bit is wasted on the skin, but it's way easier than trying to drop them straight into the eye.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• kneel on the floor with his head between your knees, face up of course, not restraining him - just helping keep his face in position. Put a treat or stuffed animal or other toy on one of your legs where he can see it. Tell him that you are going to let a drop fall in his eye like a rain drop, and that he needs to look sideways, and looking at the treat or toy will help. The drop landing in the side of his eye won't be as startling as right on the eyeball. Tell him also that the drop will soothe the itch and pain in his eye and help it get better.

Answer by Bmat at 9:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Have him lay down with his eyes closed, next put the drops in the corner of his eyes and then open his eyes while still laying down. The drops will run into his eyes. Good luck.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Hold him down. If you have too.

Answer by louise2 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Hold him down and aim to get the drops in the inner corner of the eye. When your son opens his eyes, the drops will go into the actual eye.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• call and see if they can give you the vaseline form that you wipe on the eyelid. So much easier when they are little. I tell my kids to lay down on my bed (do this with eardrops, eyedrops and toenail clipping) and read a book. Then I sneak in for the attack. Sorry your having trouble. Good luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009