My daughter is 15 months and has 102 degrees of fever

Is there a faster way to get rid of this fever besides givin her Tylenol?????

starz16

Asked by starz16 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one thing that will help is removing her socks, but you still need to give her the med you can and take her to the doc asap.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Take all her cloths off execpt her diaper/panties. That will help. Make sure she is drinking plenty of fluids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Fever is good. Germs grow best at body temp. The body increases it's temp to slow the growth of germs when someone is ill. If you give something for fever more germs can grow making the person sicker or sick for longer.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• it's not good for a 2 yr or anyone for that matter to have a fever
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Put her in a warm not hot or cold but a cool bath and then put her in something very light for clothes still give her tylenol. GL and I hope your LO feels better soon.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My daughter's doctor said that motrin works better for fever than tylenol. I tried it, and it did work way better.
    Anonymous

• put her in a cool bath,..my ped. said to rotate motrin and tylenol every 4 hours (i think..dd hasnt been sick to the point of meds for a while)...or if she'll sit still or lay with you, you might could try a cool wet wash cloth on her forehead. good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• oh also..my dd's then doc also said that 102 is only to be monitored, nothing to bring them in over, which the doc hated to world and first time parents, we were freaking out..so we got a second opinion from the er and they said he was right, just to do the rotating of meds and monitor the fever and if it persists over 24 (i think) to take her in.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I personally believe that fevers are good. They help the body kill off the germs that are making a child sick. When you let the fever burn ( watching CAREFULLY) it really cuts down on how long your child is sick. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The fever is part of the bodies immune system to help kill germs.
    The only time I step in and put a cool washcloth on my sons body is when the fever hits over 104. Thats when it makes me nervous enough to step in. Just push fluids, lots of water.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Fevers under 101 don't HAVE to have Tylenol, but over 101 do. If the medicine keeps the fever down, great. If it doesn't, go to the dr tomorrow. You can rotate the Tylenol and Motrin. Such as Tylenol at 12.00 and if at 2:00 the fever is up, give Motrin, then at 4:00 if it's up, give Tylenol. Write down WHEN you gave her WHAT and what her fever was at that time, that way you don't end up over-dosing by accident. 102 isn't scary, but still would medicate and watch her.

You can call the call-a-nurse tomorrow for another opinion. All sorts of flu bugs are going around in our area and my friend's kids have had 103.8 to 104.5. Keep a watch on your little one, Mama.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009