Question about getting financial help/grants to go to school...

I'm sure it's different in different states/areas but I am almost 23 years old and I recently decided that after I have my 2nd child in Feb that I want to go back to school. I want to go to be and xray technician and I never wanted to go back to school until I looked at my job I hve now and realized i'll get nowhere where I am.
So this is my question, can you get more government help being a "single" mom or can you still get help if you get married? We planned on getting married next spring and this was before I decided on college and I still want to but I've had ppl say that I can get more help without being married.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in

• It depends on the number of people in the family and income. If your husband makes a lot of money you would get less financial aid.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Go the the financial aid office of where you want to attend. They can talk to you about grants and scholarships too.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The amount of aid you can receive is calculated based on your "expected family contribution", which is called your EFC. they will take your and hubby's income into account. Here's a link, if you have your tax info you can run through the app pretty quickly, they tell you right away what your EFC is.

www.fafsa.gov
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Thanks :)
    Anonymous

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes, you can usually get more money for school as a single parent than a married parent. You would need to apply to the college and then for financial aid. You can apply for aid on line at www. fafsa.gov That is the app you need to fill out to get any type of financial aid at any school. It is not a source of funding but the way to apply.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2009