Confused About College

How do majors work? I want to be a political journalist, but not just American journalism, international also. Would International relations be my major and journalism my minor OR vice versa? Also, what about political science? I want to start this spring I am just really confused about what I need to do. I also would like to keep the doors open to getting involved in government like diplomacy.

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 9:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was fortunate to meet a military attache, recently, who also is looking into political journalism when she gets out of the AF. We talked at great lengths about her background. She received her BS in political science with a minor in communications. Then she went on to get her Masters in International Relations. She said it is extremely competitive and making professional connections along the way has been benefecial. From her freshman year on.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Something you might consider is talking to a counselor before you register to find out what your options are at the school you plan on attending. You also might consider talking to various counselors at different schools to aid in your decision.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No way to answer! Every school has different majors and concentrations.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Your best bet would be to talk to an advisor at the university you want to attend and to talk to someone who already works in the field that you want to go into.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 10:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i dont know where you plan on going to college, maybe a community college? thats where i go. go and register and go to financial aid and then go see an advisor. they will answer all your questions and help you figure out what degree you need and tell you what classes you should start taking and help you make your schedule. and btw now that i have my son, my financial aid pays my whole tuition and books.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Get ADVICE from the counselor but don't trust them fully. I have had counselors who have tried to make me take classes I don't need. I had a professor who was my advisor try to tell me I had to take a class. I told her I knew otherwise and suddenly she remembered that I didn't need it after all - turns out she only wanted me to take it because her HUSBAND was the one that taught it. A course catalog and the listed major "tracks" are you friend so you know what you actually need and don't need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I'm a radio news director and a TV news producer; maybe I can help?

Definitely get your degree in something OTHER than journalism...be it international relations or political science or what have you. MINOR in journalism.

Do yourself a favor and get your journalism training in a school that concentrates more on hands-on DOING than on communication theory. Learn not only how to write (the MOST important skill) but also how to shoot video and edit; journalists are having to work on multiple platforms now. Make sure you understand how to use web tools and social media.

A background in international relations will put you in good stead for both diplomacy and journalism.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2009