how does lunch meat compare to other cuts of meat,nutritionally speaking?

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Personally I feel it is one of worst meat choices you can make, due to the fact that there are more chemicals put into them for processing. I had a hard time getting away from the lunch meat, but now I feel a lot better and have more energy without them in my diet.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Lunch meat has a lot of preservatives, added salt, food coloring and other things added to it.
    If you are concerned about the "healthiness" you are better off to cook a ham, turkey, roast and slice it yourself for sandwiches.
    Anonymous

• ok how about the lunch meat labeled as natural/ no preservatives?

thanks
    Anonymous

• Read the ingredients. I can't, I don't have any here.
    Anonymous

• "ok how about the lunch meat labeled as natural/ no preservatives?"

Natural is meaningless and unregulated. Uranium is natural, but you wouldn't want it near your children.

I have a huge list of lunch ideas that I have collected over the years; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• 3 Tips for Choosing the Healthiest Cold Cuts

Cold cuts are a staple for quick sandwiches, salads, and also snacks. But before you stop at the deli counter or pick up prepackaged deli meats, check out this shopping guide to learn which deli meats are South Beach Diet-friendly and which you should avoid:

1. Choose lean meats. When shopping for cold cuts, make sure you buy meats that are low in saturated fat. Your best bets include:
    * Boiled ham
    * Chicken breast
    * Deli-sliced turkey breast
    * Lean deli roast beef
    * Smoked ham
    * Smoked turkey breast

Anonymous

• continued-
    2. Avoid processed meats with fillers. Fillers are carbohydrate additives that are used to hold the meat together and reduce production costs. Search out modified food starch, wheat starch, and cornstarch in the ingredient list, and avoid products made with these fillers unless they appear near the end of the ingredient list. If this is the case, the amount of starch is minuscule.

3. Steer clear of meats with added sugar. Avoid honey-baked ham or honey-roasted turkey. If you'd like to add more flavor to your deli meat, try spreading a little mustard, mayonnaise, or two tablespoons of your favorite low-sugar salad dressing on your sandwich or salad.
    Anonymous