Average age for moving from crib to bed?

Our sons aunt bought him his crib and it is a convertible. He is not even trying to climb out or anything yet but I just saw a related question where a mom answered that she put her child in a regular bed around 15 months. Mine is almost 14 months now, I thought 15 months was too early but I want to know what others have done. Thanks!!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is 15 mos and we curbed the attempt at climbing by putting a thin layer of Vaseline on the area where she was trying and she slipped so many times that she quit attempting. We will move our LO when she can successfully climb out or when she is 3. I like the fact that the crib in containing and will save my sanity.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• we moved are son at 13 months, he got reallty hurt one day so we bought him a little tikes race car bed amd he loves it, stays in it all night and calls me in the morning when he wakes up....
    Anonymous

• I put my daughter in a big bed at 18 months. She fell out of her crib and I decided it was time. I put my son in a bed at 19 months. We had moved into a new house and it seemed like the right time. I agree that 15 months may be a bit early.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• When they start to climb its time to move them to a big kid bed cause its always better to be safe then sorry..
    saramae9764

Answer by saramae9764 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my son is 23 months and has never tried climbing out, and until he does im not moving him. i hope he's in there until he is at least 3
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I've been wondering the same thing and my dd hasn't tried climbing out yet unless I am in there and the side is down so until she can sucessfully climb out she will be staying in there and when we finally do move her it will be into a twin bed pushed against the wall with a rail on the other side. Hopefully by then she won't move around as much either b/c right now she is all over the place in her crib. Hopefully she will be like my nephew, he was in a crib til 3 or 3 1/2.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• For the sake of your sanity I would keep the kid in the crib until she can climb out. My son figured out how to climb out around 19 months, we kept him in the crib until he was 2. Since we moved him to a bed there has been no end to the night wakings.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well... my son is 21 months old and he's still in his crib. We're about to put him in a toddler bed only because we need the crib for our baby due in dec. and I want him use to the bed. I'm kind of worried about it because I think he will fall off because he moves around so much when he sleeps. Also, I think he will just get up and play with his toys until he passes out on the floor. He has never tried to crawl out. I don't think he can and he's 3 ft tall.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son stayed in the crib until he was climbing out of it.
    We got him a Step2 Convertible Race Car bed for his 3rd birthday. Once he had his own bed he stopped coming into our bed.
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 12:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I was planning on moving my son in a 'big' bed at around 2. But.... he started climbing out of his crib at 18 months. I didn't move him just then, wanted to make sure he was ready for a bed. I waited about a month.
    PretzelFrilly

Answer by PretzelFrilly at 1:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2009