So I brush my teeth twice a day and floss normally, but I still have black crap on my teeth and am so embarrassed to get it cleaned.

What could it be and why do I have it when I clearly take care of my teeth? I feel so gross and can't afford to go to a real dentist. They clean teeth for discount prices at the local university, but I am so self conscious of the tiny girls to see them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Health

• I dont think its tooth decay. I had the same exact problem- it'd be at the back of the front teeth, on the bottom- by the gum line- a place I rarely look. I tried to use toothpicks, needles (like safety pins), and more, thinking that it'd just wipe away, or its just food or something. Eventually, i had to make an appointment (could you imagine if it WAS tooth decay- i would've lost my 2 front bottom teeth)-- it was just plaque. something that a lot of people get- some are yellow, others are darker.

When was the last time they were cleaned, by a professional (either a real one, or one in training?) It could just be plaque.. if not, it might be something worse, but would you rather go to an appointment and get it fixed, or walk around losing those teeth, because you are too embarrassed? My SD has really bad decay- all over his teeth, but it also gives him the worst pain cuz food gets into the holes, which makes it worse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you're so embarrassed to let the people who are trained to take care of them see it how can you possibly walk around all day and let everyone else see them? That makes no sense.
    Anonymous

• That sounds like tooth decay. You have to have it removed and restored. Don't be ashamed, they've seen worse.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well you shouldn't be embarrassed. Those girls are going to school to work with teeth, I am sure they will come across worse, if they haven't already. That is what they signed up for, to help people. I am not sure what you can do to stop or prevent what is happening, nor can I tell you what is happening to your teeth, but I am sure they can and would be more than happy to help you. Don't be embarrassed.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It is mainly my bottom teeth which can easily be hidden. I am so ashamed I want to cry.
    Anonymous

• its just not you hun. I DO same hun, imagine this i brush my teeth with the best toothpaste they say to use aquafresh advanced for enamel AND use the new ACT restroal TOTAL care and floss every night and i get 6 cavities.. most dentist will not tell you this, but u have to make sure all the toothpaste is out of your mouth by rinising with water tons of times afterwards bc toothpaste has a type of sugar base in it that sits on your teeth and breaks down your teeth and leads to decay. dont be embarrssed please
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 10:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You poor thing. Stop being ashamed and get it taken care of before it gets worse. I feel so bad for you, I know how you feel because I'm real particular about my teeth too. I PROMISE you they've seen so much worse. Take advantage of the fact it's discounted.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Anon at :01, that is the EXACT description of my black crap. I will make an appointment and hope that is all it needs: a cleaning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had that plaque there, too, on the back of my bottom teeth by the gumline, and a cleaning was all it needed. Now I go every 6 months to try to keep on top of it. Teeth don't grow back, so take care of them!!! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2009