Help! I need Advice on being a single mother of very hyper and active four year old boy!!!

I'm a single mother of a four year old boy. I'm struggling both financially and emotionally. I work full-time and will be starting college next month. I get absolutely NO support from my family. I have no one to babysit so I can get away sometimes. My son is really hyper and active and I'm really starting to lose all of my patience with him. I get really mad at him and I don't mean to be. I sometimes wonder if he has ADHD. Please help!!!!

SingleMother05

Asked by SingleMother05 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a three year old the same way he is always going my friends have no clue how i do it.. All i can say is outside is the best place projects if you can het him to sit still long enough dont make them long ones though cause otherwise he will not be interested at all and you will be cleaning up the mess while he is in the other room drstroying something that is if he is anything like my son. Best of luck to you..
    saramae9764

Answer by saramae9764 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Swimming. I have yet to meet the hyper child who could still hold out after a nice long swim class. Water is the panacea. It's why we take long baths and consider it a luxury. It's why we dance in the rain and splash in puddles. If you don't have immediate access to a pool then consider a membership at a swim club or a gym. I know money is tight but for the cost of a babysitter for one night you can pay for a months membership. No matter how active my kids get a good swim and they sleep the sleep of the just and I get some much needed peace and quiet.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You aren't the only one who feels this way. I seriously doubt he is adhd most 4 year old boys are wild and have lots of energy. You have to find fun things you can enjoy together whatever it might take. My son was going through a stage this last month where he was driving me nuts and Superman episodes online saved up. I liked watching Dean Cain and he liked the Super hero. Hey whatever it takes! Try getting him to bed an hour earlier each night to give you some down time. Put him to bed ten minutes earlier every night until hes at a decent time. Maybe putting him in some sports or gym classes would help too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my 4 yr old daughter is also ADHD but my husband my father and his mom are the only ones who think so my brother say she just needs a stricter parent (he has no kids)my mom say she needs more attention talk to your childs doctor they can have tests done my daughter is having them done now they'll send you to a psychologist . he/she will observe your child and will be able to tell for sure but it takes some time so it will be rough but i wish you the best.
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Unfortunately, everyone associates an active and hyper child as being ADD or ADHD. That usually isn't the case. An active/hyper child needs their parent/parents to be able to be firm, not give up if they disobey, be able to be consistent with praise and discipline, and give them attention. Please look into activities you can do with your child, especially outdoor ones or find out what your child loves to do. My son is a very hyperactive three year old, but he is generally obedient and willing. He's also very theatrical and loves music, so I've used those interests to help him burn the excess energy off. I've never let up when it comes to teaching him what manners and rules I want him to know. If he doesn't understand, I don't punish him, but continue to find ways to help him understand what it is I want him to learn. I realize with your schedule that makes it more difficult for you but please try!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 3:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009