How much milk do I need for my 3 month old breastfed baby to drink for 12 hours?

I'm having a CT with contrast tomorrow and my lactation consultant said I can't breastfeed for 12 hours afterwards.

My sons never really had bottles so I don't know how many ounces he'll drink. How much milk should I pump for 12 hours?

***He eats every 2-3 hours during the day. I just want to make sure I have enough money because I don't know what I'll do if I run out of milk! He won't have anything to eat!! Any advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would make at least 18-24oz of milk!..most babies that age drink from 2-4oz so i would just make 24oz to be on the safe side!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It's hard to say because BF babies feed on demand, and the only way to tell how much they're drinking is to weigh them before & after a feeding. I suggest pumping once an hour tonight until you're ready for bed, then again tomorrow if you have time before the CT scan. Also pump during that 12-hour period to keep your supply up. If you need to use formula for a few feedings it's not the end of the world. Best of luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 12:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The LC should have known that a CT with contrast generally IS safe, per Dr. Thomas Hale, who is the leading expert on meds and mother's milk. If this is a drinkable dye, then no worries...it doesn't pass into the milk AT ALL.

Look up the dye that will be used on the Lact-Med database, run by the National Institutes of Health. It's THE definitive online resource for this sort of thing.

The LC ALSO should have told you what you need. One to one and a half ounces per hour.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009