One year sober...

My fiance will have one year sober on the 27th, and I plan on throwing him a surprise party for him with his family... and I have a few questions regarding ideas. Number one... what should I serve to eat?? There's going to be about a dozen people, and since it's a surprise party, it can't involve a lot of prep work. Also, do you think we should do a thing where we all go around saying how his sobriety has affected us? I just want him to know how incredibly proud of him we all our, and how much him giving up alcohol means to us. He hasn't gone with out alcohol this long since '92... and he's only 28 years old. He gave up alcohol not just for me and his daughter, but for my three children from a previous marriage. He's cleaned up, reconnected with family, and grown up a lot in the past year. I just want to make this very special for him!

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 1:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I think just having some pizzas and snacks (his favorite kinds) would be great. I love the idea of having everyone say something about how much his sobriety has impacted them.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Just do simple snack stuff and throw something in a crock pot like little smokies(weenies) and plug it in in the basement or something, they don't take long. I don't think that you should go around the room saying things but just maybe mention to people before they come that it would be nice for them to personally go up to him on a one on one basis and tell him how they feel. My BF has been sober for 6 years he will be 28 in Dec. We've only been together for 2 1/2 of those years and it has made me not drink as much since he doesn't drink, plus the fact that we have a child together now. On holidays he may have a glass of wine with us but he only has 1 and then just drinks n/a beer (ususally O'douls). I'm proud of him for not drinking & he still likes to go out uptown so that is nice too that he's not afraid to be around others who are drinking. Plus then I have a dd to drive me home! Congrats to him on 1 yr. and many more.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009