When is it time for a big girl bed?

My 19 month old daughter is going to be a big sister in 3 months. We will have the new baby in our room for the first few months, but after that the girls are going to share a room. When that time comes, my toddler will be just over 2 yrs old (25-26 months). Will it be time to move her to a toddler bed then (and new baby can have her old crib) or do I need to be shopping for an additional crib? Just trying to figure out the logistics so I can rearrange the room and get whichever bed/crib is appropriate.
Thanks for your help!

mse04

Asked by mse04 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was sleeping in her toddler bed by about 11-12 months but that was because she had learned how to climb out of her crib. lol
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think she can do a big girl bed. I moved my first into a toddler bed when she was 16 months old and she did fine. We had even moved into a new place and that was her very first night there plus first night in a toddler bed! I was so proud! I know you're not supposed to do two big changes at once like that, but we couldn't help it, her crib broke in the move and I was not going to buy another crib for her at that age. Anyway, my littlest is 14 months old and we're getting ready for that change for her. I have a bunk bed set now and have her practicing getting on and off the bottom during the day with assistance from a step-stool and then will just get bed rails when it's time rather than buy a toddler bed for the room. Go for the toddler bed for your little one and good luck!
    -KaylaLee-

Answer by -KaylaLee- at 1:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I put my daughter in a toddler bed at 16 months and just moved her in her own room and she is 21 months.. she is doing really good in her own room and her bed...but im thonk about getting a twin bed for now and just get the rails for it ...
    bncth

Answer by bncth at 12:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We moved our 25 month old into a toddler bed once we were ready to put the baby in the crib. He did pretty well.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009