One year sober...

My fiance will have one year sober on the 27th, and I plan on throwing him a surprise party for him with his family... and I have a few questions regarding ideas. Number one... what should I serve to eat?? There's going to be about a dozen people, and since it's a surprise party, it can't involve a lot of prep work. Also, do you think we should do a thing where we all go around saying how his sobriety has affected us? I just want him to know how incredibly proud of him we all our, and how much him giving up alcohol means to us. He hasn't gone with out alcohol this long since '92... and he's only 28 years old. He gave up alcohol not just for me and his daughter, but for my three children from a previous marriage. He's cleaned up, reconnected with family, and grown up a lot in the past year. I just want to make this very special for him!

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 1:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Congratulations! I think it is a great idea to have family members go around and tell him how proud they are of him. As for food, you can do a potluck for the sides and desserts. As for the main food maybe you could order a 6ft sandwich? You can always order 50 pieces of chicken from the grocery stores deli. Good luck!
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Normally I'd say just buy a 30 pack and call it a party but that's probably not a smart idea in this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• that's pretty mean and disrespectful... he's worked hard to maintain his sobriety, with out the help of AA or any 12 step program, in order to step up and be the best parent and spouse he can be...
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 2:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• There is always one that is rude. Ignore em! I think just snack foods and maybe order some pizza. And I really like the idea of going around saying what his sobriety means to everyone. I think he really should hear that! Congrats to him and to the family!

yourgie

Answer by yourgie at 2:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Wow anon...your a peice.
    I would maybe get chinese/pizza delivered. Love the idea of telling him how its affected you and maybe you could make it a scavenger hunt???
    gypsydancer7

Answer by gypsydancer7 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009