Do you think my doctor will be okay that I bring my toddler on my first prenatal visit? And any ideas to keep my toddler busy without bringing a lot of toys.

We just recently moved to a new place so Idk anyone I can trust...no friends or family...to watch my little one. On top of that my dh just got deployed right after we found out I am pregnant. Any ideas how to keep my toddler busy while the doctor does the examination?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i dont think there should b a problem with that, atleast i hope there wouldnt b. And i have no idea, i guess it depends on the age, i have to bring my daughter to mine and i have no clue how im going to keep her busy, im hopping bringing her fav. toy will work. good luck
    zoeybearsmama

Answer by zoeybearsmama at 1:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• bring a coloring book and some crayons, a book, or a toy....the doctors wont care!!! and maybe your toddler will like the experience knowing a baby is in your tummy =D

GOOD LUCK!
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• This was years ago but I was in a similar situation, new town, no family nearby DH at work and I had to go in for my exam while pregnant. I stopped and got my son a happy meal lol no kidding he was so into the chicken nuggets he had no idea what was happening ( he was 2 1/2 at the time) the doctor and nurse thought is was funny and it worked :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i strapped mine into a stroller during the actual exam. before hand you might try reading to her or bringing an ipod or even a portable dvd with her fav movie.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had to do the same thing with my 1 1/2 yr old, and always took his stroller and gave him snacks, This may sound bad, but bring something that you can give him when he starts to get fussy, like raisins because its sweet, they love it and are soo happy. Give it to him right when the dr. come in or just hold out as long as you can. I got so desperate once I gave my 3 yr old starburst to keep him quiet! You will be fine. Your dr. will even make it quick since he can see your lil is short on patience.
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 4:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I would call your doctor's office beforehand to make sure that you are allowed to bring your child with you. I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old, and the naval hospital where I am going does NOT allow children in the room for prenatal visits or ultrasounds. I was very shocked with that! If it's the appointment for paperwork and bloodwork only, I think it'd be fine. But like I said, check with the office before bringing them.

To keep your little one busy, give them something to color, snack on, or play with. Usually, the appointments aren't very long (it's the waiting room that takes forever! lol).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well, i dont think they should have a problem what do they expect single mothers to do lol.. I have a 2 year old that has went to almost all my apt. with the exception of maybe 3 and im 30 weeks. I bring snacks they my little man loves which at two keeps him busy for a lil while then he gets sqirmish..and i also bring 2 toys that he loves..maybe a book and his daddy lol. Gl hun
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i had my 14 mo son w/ me at my first visit w/ my dh. at the second visit, it was just my son and me and it showed for it. they had me fill our paperwork (don't know why they didn't do it the first visit) and i was trying to keep him occupied w/ toys and books and nothing worked. and it showed for it too. they took my bp and it was 142/90. the nurses looked at me and told me and i said well and looked at my son. she figured that too.
    they don't have a problem w/ kids there.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son comes to all mine. He loves sticker books.
    acholt21

Answer by acholt21 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2009