We are expecting baby-girl January 8th and i wanna get a little kitten now, does anyone knows if it is safe to have a kitten in a house with a newborn? Thank you.

Victoria1807

Asked by Victoria1807 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If i were you, i'd get the baby first.
    it will be easier for the pet to adjust to a family that already HAS a baby. and the baby won't be none the wiser.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Cats can carry a disease called Toxoplasmosis. If you already have a cat, you've probably already had the virus and adding another kitty won't be a problem. HOWEVER; if you do not have a cat already, don't get a kitten right now!
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/toxoplasmosis
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• When I was pregnant I wanted a kitten too and asked my dr about it. My dr. said it was completly fine as long as my SO cleaned the litter and I didnt go near the litter. As for the baby, I didnt have ANY problems with my kitten and baby. but I had gotten my kitten when I was ...4 or 5 months? so the kitten was not so much a "kitten" anymore. Kittens go through a biting stage and you might have to watch for that but I honestly have no problems. Now my baby is one and LOVVVVES that cat and chases it around and hugs and pets him all the time. I dont know if the cat so much likes it though. Goodluck!
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We have always had cats, just be careful cleaning the litter box and it will be okay
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• and also make sure the cat can not get around ur babys face bc the kittens r attracted to milk and they will sufficate ur baby if they try to get extra milk on ur babys face
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• IMO I would not get any animal before the arrival of the baby. When your baby gets here you will be consumed and the new pet will not get nearly as much attention.I know my pets have suffered with the arrival of our baby - there is just not enough time .....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Babies are a lot of work the last thing you need is an animal to tend to besides, especially a cat. I just think of the cat hair all over and stuff when the baby starts crawling, you could clean everyday & still have cat hair on things. YUCK, I'm not a fan of cats anyway, if you couldn't tell. Plus I don't think cats & babies mix well, cats are sneaky and could get into the crib and that just asks for trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009