If I was needy, and obese- is there any sites/places that can help me get free clothes?

Im a proud mother of two, then things took a dive for the worse, healthwise and financially.

I went through like premenopausal state where my periods were off and I wasnt ovulating and contracted hypothyroid and diabetes, and gained over 150 in one year and hubby got demoted and 50% paycut and things spiraled.

Now......I started diabetes medicine, which caused me to ovulate.......now Im obese, in nursing school, pregnant, and so broke I cant afford to spit. I have two shirts to my name, we make too much for welfare to help, but not enough to buy clothes, I get ALL my kids clothes from freecycling and yard sales (they are dressed nice!) & hubby has a uniform job. We dont have two extra nickels to rub together, I would never make my husband feel low for not being able to afford it.

Is there a Place/site out there beside www.wishuponahero.com that can help with needs like this. I know its a longshot question but.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Shopping

• www.freecycle.org
    www.freeuse.org
    www.craigslist.com

Goodwill, salvation army.
    Good luck.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Well, there probably arent a whole lot of places you can get clothes for free, but you can go to the thrift stores especially in large towns and find a lot of nice stuff.

To save a little money, check out www.angelfoodministries.com You can get good food for cheap-like 30 dollars a box. It isnt just for people on food stamps or anything. You can get it no matter what you make. It might save you a bit of money so you can get some clothes. Good luck.
    NathansmomEmmie

Answer by NathansmomEmmie at 4:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Check local social services agencies. If you are in Chicago, contact me offlist and I can point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you want just clothes ...call your local Salvation Army and find out if they have a store. I get most of my clothes from the SA ...lot's of name brands for cheap. But if you call the actual church ...they might give you a voucher to spend in the store. When I lived in NY they'd give you $10 per person in your household before winter to get jackets and stuff. You can even go to the Salvation Army website and see where there is one close if you don't want to call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Thanks all for those responses, and my issue is that I wear a 5x! Im obese, next time you are in the salvation army, or a thrift store or even a yard sale, try to find ANYTHING in those sizes, 26-28, it just doesnt exist second hand in those sizes. Im am 3 hours south of chicago dear, and the closest town to me is quincy illinois around 40,000 populated, and they have about 5 thrift stores, and Ive been through them all, my size is just not out there. Thanks~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• 26/28 is not horrifying, check craigslist. plenty of people that give clothing away. I was in the exact same position as you, except that i wasnt in school just pregnant and working and the same size, i had 3 shirts 2 pairs of pants. i understand your pain and i really do feel for you. check your local congregation and try craigslist. i really do hope that everything turns out ok. Pray pray and pray, i did and it helped me tremendously.
    Anonymous

• Check out the local churches. My aunt was overweight and in her situation she was just sorry, never worked and did alot of drugs and drank all the time. Nothing like you but she didn't have money and she wasn't a common size. Instead of buying her clothes that she'd just puke on we took her to a local church that does clothes drives and they have a clothes closet every week where you can come in and get clothes for free. They don't check income or anything. Many churches do this, I would also check on the website about the food that a PP posted, I've heard about them and like she said you may be able to save some money on food and use that for clothes. Goodwill usually sells pants for $4 and shirts for $1-$3 depending on what it is. I hope things get better for you, I'm glad you are going to school...it will work out for you guys in the long run so keep it up mama!
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 7:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I just wanted to add, you have to be willing to ask for help. Your local social services office may even have a place to refer you to so try giving them a call.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 7:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2009