How do you get over the after surgery depression?

I had emergency surgery cause of my appendix in April and actually died on the table. I stayed in ICU for a while. I am completly recovered now, but I fell into a depression that seems to come and go. When I went in, I was so scared of dying, although I am a christian and believe that I would go to heaven. I just wasn't ready to go. It scared me to leave everyone. After I finally got home, things felt so different. I started asking God why he didn't take me. Now, I am happy to be alive. I struggle constanly though with this depression. One day, I am so happy that I can't stop smiling and the next, I just want to sleep and hold back my tears. I don't want to take any meds. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a simlar experience and if so, how did you get pass it? I want to be happy everyday, not just some days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Health

• Oh honey! Hang in there! God did intentionally keep you around for a reason and you are a blessed woman. Trust God, he will deliver you from this and you will get passed this. Saturate your mind and your day with the things of the Lord, it will renew your spirit. Put on worship music, pray, dance, revolve yourself around encouraging people. I am sure it is normal for you to feel this way after a traumatic event like yours and maybe you just are processing it at your own pace. Try talking to someone that is mature in the Lord that can give you sound advice and tell you that its normal for you to feel some fellings of dep. It sounds like to me that you are a fighter and you are pushing thru this. After my 3rd c-section I also went thru this, I still have days when its hard with 3 kids under 3 but I just keep going and praising God while rebuking that depression. Check out Isaiah 58:10-11 Blessings to you!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 4:06 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Thank you. I actually needed your reply. You're right. God has kept me around for a reason. That has to be my focus. Thanks again and God Bless!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2009