I have a question about different cultures integrated into the US.

I was watching this movie "Towelhead" tonight and something dawns on me - and so I'm curious; Why would/does someone from a different culture flee that culture, have a child in another country but refuse to allow that child to live and experience that new countries culture. This has nothing to do with race, so don't go there. It's kinda like; I move to France, then have children, but I force my children to adhere to American culture and attitudes instead of letting them integrate into the culture in which they live. Why would make us do stuff like that. I mean, if you hate the country you're from enough to bail, then why would you want your kids raised "the American way"?
Y'all know what I'm trying to say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most people DON'T leave their country because the hate it. They leave because they can't provide for their family there, because of political changes that make it unsafe for them to stay, because of war that makes it unsafe for them to stay, etc. Cultures aren't necessarily tied to a "country", most cultures are bigger then one country, older then the country the people live in, etc. What I'm saying is when someone HAS to leave their homeland the LAST thing they want to lose it their culture too! When the children become too "Americanized" the parents feel that the children are losing their heritage and the parents feel that THEY are losing their children. In a sense they are losing them. They lose that cultural connection to, and understanding of, their children.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I get what your saying. and I think it's because they don't want to lose their heritage. I think it's crap, but I think that's why they do it
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 3:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I may be wrong, but I think it's because they are raising their children the way they were raised, which is probably the only thing they truly know. It's kinda like, you wouldn't want to raise your kid speaking spanish, if you didn't understand it. I totally get what you're saying, though. I would want to raise my child to fit in to the country that they are living in, but at the same time, if I moved to India, I'd still try to teach my child my culture, while they are also learning the culture of India.
    meluvja

Answer by meluvja at 3:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think even if you hate a countries politics, violence, selfishness, ect there are still things you love about it. Those things just werent strong enough to make you stay.
    Family heritage is underrated and those who came to America in the past gradually forgot that. It was stripped from Africans and Native Americans. But even other cultures who have come here in the past have chosen to just melt into the "American" culture, leaving their ancestrial heritage behind. And I think thats more sad.

Great question.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Just because you leave another country to live in the US doesn't mean you hate where you are from. Most people come here for opportunities. My husbands family is Hispanic and they still practice a lot of old traditions. They want to keep their heritage alive. They didn't come here because they hate Mexico, they came here for a better life.
    MamaTasha08

Answer by MamaTasha08 at 4:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What you are saying is correct.But that is probably because they did not immigrate her over hundreds of years ago.All other nationalities adapted.I heard they have the lowest amount of arrests against them.They are quiet and do not bring too much attention except with their clothing. I feel sorry for the women. They are like servants to their husbands. Their marriages are arranged.But I am sure things are changing for the new generation. Some of these Indian chicks are so pretty.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think a lot of it may be due to religion. America is based on freedom of religion..amoung other things. They come here and want to practice their own religion unpersecuted. The want to adheer to their own culture but in a place that is safe. Given the choice of living your culture and religion in a place that is for the most part having bombs explode on a daily basis or in America, which would you chose? My DD has a bff who's parents are from Iraq. They are very strict Catholics. Her mother told me it is very unsafe there, especially if you are Christian. This family however has blended wonderfully, keeping their culture and adding American culture as well. This is the imigrant I like to see. Come here keep some, blend some...just don't try to beat American ideas out of America. It is all about balance people.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2009