a "make your own baby food site" says to puree carrots and put herb seasoning and olive oil in it...

is that okay to give a baby?? its for babies i think it said 9 months??

and a few others say nutmeg and shredded cheese and stuff.. is that alright?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i give my son mashed potaoes and beans all puree just leave out salt and pepper....he also uses his net to eat pickles loves them
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My kids have all eaten pureed or smashed table food - with all the spices and herbs, from a young age. Babies in other countries eat very spicy foods! I don't know why we are so bland in the States! LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• why would anyone put spices on baby food?
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 8:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I started adding herbs/spices to my kids baby food at 6 months. Thinks like Tarragon, sage,basil, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It just introducing new flavors just like anything else. I would add them one at a time just like when you were doing new foods though. There are a very few people who can have allergies to some herbs. If you want your kids to eat what you eat you have to get them used to your cooking style at some point. I would still do some plain un-flavored fruits and veggies some to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You should start out with straight puree, no spices so you will know whether it is the veggie or the spices if you should spot an allergy. It's fine to put some added spice or oil in for taste as they get older, but for my kids I made sure that they got used to the taste of plain veggies first.
    As far as plain vegs and fruits being bland - it's their first taste of real "food," I imagine it's not very bland to such young, experienced taste buds.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• well I have always fed my son pretty much whatever I was eating and now he is 17 months and will eat pretty much any thing. And thats why I did it. I wanted him to get used to spices early so I intraduced them early (and the other night I made lasangna and my lasanga in NOT bland. Parlsey and garlic and onions in with the cheese mixture HOT italian sausage, etc) and he ate a peice and a half, hot sausage and all. Also, at 10 months we were at a mexican resturant with my sister and BF and I was feeding mostly the rice and beans but gave him some of the guacamole which he LOVED and my sisters BF was complaining that it was too hot and it was kinda funny like dude the 10 month old is begging for more and your over there crying about it being to spicy??

And nine months was about when I started with the spices herbs etc. Thats when he seemed ready to me.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• In a lot of cultures 9 month olds eat regular table foods and that includes spices. I never saw any reason why my babies should eat bland boring foods. My son ate what we ate when he was 10 months old! Bland food for babies is an American thing, there is no need for it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2009