HELP Cat injured!

My cat is so sweet. This weekend somehow she became injured with a large tear/cut in her skin down to the muscle. My dh took her in and she got stitches. She has a collar on and is miserable. She also keeps tearing out the stitches. Not by chewing, but moving. The skin is so tight that when she walks or jumps she pulls at the stitches. We have had her in the kennel with the collar on most of the day. She is not happy.
Anyway, the vet stapled an area where the stitches wouldn't stay in. So now there is about 20 stiches and 4 staples. The area where she is cut is on the right upper thigh. What can I do about the gashes that keep opening due to the stiches? See when she moves, it pulls the stiches through the skin creating an addtional cut.
HELP tell me what to do!

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 4:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pets

• take her back to the vet
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• A sedative might help, so as soon as the vet opens ask for a mild sedative. If she hasn't been weighed yet they may ask you to bring her back in so they can give her the right dosage. Good Luck and I wish your kitty well.
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 5:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• She may need to be restitched later as the skin heals up, but definitely she should either be given a mild sedative or a pain killer. She's tense, in pain, stressed, and not staying still which won't help her heal. I know the stitches pulling out looks terrible, but it happens a lot, especially if the wound is large or the particular tissue being sewn together is fragile. Some parts of the body hold the stitches a lot better.

You might offer her a box with a clean towel in it (tip it on it's side so she doesn't feel like she's being confined). She may calm down some if she has a hidey hole and isn't seeing partial movement all around her. Put her food, water, and litter close by to encourage her to nap there rather than roaming everywhere frantically.

I hope she gets better. It's hard to watch a pet suffer and feel like there isn't anything you can do.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The only thing i think of is making her stay in a dog crate. I know you were already doing that and that she hates it but it may bhe the only thing at this point. Last year a kitten i was fostering managed to fracture his hip(have no clue how he did it). Mystery was about 2 or 3 months old at the time and had to live in a dog crate for several weeks so that he would not play with his siblings. He was miserable and i actually did start letting him out for 5 minutes a day. NOt much time I know but it helped keep relaxed in the crate.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009