S/O of another question - Why do parents these days always stay at the bus stop?

My children are not yet in school, but I've noticed that at every bus stop I've seen, there are always hordes of moms waiting for the bus with the kids - this is in a nice area btw. People say now a days you can't be too careful, but when I was a kid in the 80's parents never stayed at the bus stop and crime was higher then! I just don't get it. Aren't people aware that crime has gone down? If you waited by yourself at the bus stop as a child than it is actually safer for your child to do that now!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how is it safer to do that? it is not and i would stand with my child........
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 7:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• me or my husband will wait with our daughter in the morning because she is only six and typically the ONLY child waiting for the bus....its not just about trusting people driving by not to kidnap her, but to trust the child not to wander off...also in our district kindergateners arent allowed OFF the bus unless there is a parent waiting for them...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• why do you think crime has gone down? more children get kidnapped nowadays
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• More children are not getting kidnapped now. There is a public perception that crime is worse because we are innundated with news coverage of missing children. In the past these things were generally just local stories. It has been well documented that since the early 90's crime has decreased considerably. Honestly, I thought it was one of those things that everyon knew, but I guess not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Crime hasn't gone down. But even if it has, why take the chance that your child might be one that makes up that low crime rate? KWIM?

mum2princesses

Answer by mum2princesses at 7:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Parent now days are paranoid about everything. The news tells them every little thing that goes on. Every little crime. Think of it. I grew up in the 60's and 70's. My parent let us run all over the neighbor hood. By ourselves. Now days parent do not even let their kids leave the house with our there eyes on them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Crime has gone down, do people really not realize that? It's been reported on for years and in articles like Time and Newsweek, not just obscure periodicals. Why is it in the 80's parents didn't feel bad about "taking a chance" and letting us wait for the bus unsupervised?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It's not just parents "nowadays" I have cildren ranging in age from 9-19 and I stood at the bus stop with the older ones (who were waiting for the bus in the '90's) and I stand at the bus stop with my youngest now. It is about being a responsible parent and making sure your child is safe. Run a sex offender search in your area, I bet it's enough to prompt even those that live in the best neighborhoods to be more cautious about sending their children off alone.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Even if you are right that crime has gone down, which I agree with the other ladies that it hasn't, but even if it has, it still exists. Why would I take the chance that my child might be added to that low crime statistic? Besides, for me, it's not just about them being kidnapped. In our area, they would be standing in the dark in the morning to wait for the bus, and I'm not willing to risk them being hit by a car b/c someone is putting on make up, eating, or talking on their cell phone and runs off the road. In fact, my kids don't even ride the bus, b/c the bus drivers around here are horrible, and I refuse to trust them with the safety of my children.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 6 and we live in a very nice rural area, so I shouldn't be worried, she waits up at the bus stop with older kids that would most likely make sure she was fine, not to mention I know all the neighbors. But unless I see with my own eyes that she gets on that bus, I would worry all day. And I am not ready to worry. I sometimes think I am silly or overprotective, but I know myself. I will eventually let her go by herself but probably not for a couple more years.

In most of the cases in the our bi-sate area where kids have been kidnapped it was on a back road where no one was around, a GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD, where everyone one knows everyone.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 7:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009