How can I get my picky toddler to try different foods and eat a little better?

Kim486

Asked by Kim486 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do they get to feed themselfs? i always put at least 3different foods on my 16month olds plate, she has her own table and feeds herself evry meal,she does great too.sometimes i have to sit down at her table with her and put different foods in her mouth becouse she will be fasianted with one
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Remember they have something like 10,000 tastebuds and we as adults have something like 3,000. They taste things much more intensely than we do so they may have a sensitivity to some foods they just don't like yet. Be patient. Make sure they are getting balanced meals. Offer foods and don't force them. That will definitely backfire. Talk about what you like, they look up to you. Keep trying. Avoid juice and give them fruit. Juice is loaded with sugar and promotes, tooth decay, obesity and diabetes. They shouldn't have more than 4 oz a day. I've learned over the years that kids won't eat what their parents don't like. I had a toddler who loved peas and then found out the mom hated them... the very next day he refused to eat the peas.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Something that has worked for my two year olds...when I am making dinner I always offer them the raw veggies I am cutting up, green peppers, tomatoes, red peppers, apples, anything...and yes they may eat less for dinner but I find this is when they are the most hungry and are willing to try new food. If they do not like it, spit it out I offer it again next meal and my twins now like carrots, peppers etc... when at first they didn't. Also any time I have food for myself I let them try it. I would rather them try something new then keep it all to myself. Also giving them variety for snacks, lunchs and dinners is key too. I made the mistake with my 11 year old and now he is the most picky eater!! The twins like a huge variety.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Try offering them something to dip their food in. Like Ketchhup, Ranch, Yogurt, or anything else. If a kid gets to dip their food in something it become fun again. You don't have to give them a lot, a teeny squirt of ketchup will keep a kid eating for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually they will get eaten.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods every days.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009