Comforting a family

What on earth to you say to a relative whom their other half commits suicide, to comfort them. She was onl 38ish, her oldest daughter just had their first grandchild, her youngest boyjust started high school, and her oldest boy made the football team - life was going good for that family - so we thought.

But, mom took her own life last Monday - what do you say to they kids, the dad - who would give you the shirt off his back? Mom was stressed at work and upset with some family members, but nothing we all don't go thru here and there. What on earth do you say???????????Never been to a funeral due to this???? Our family is HUGH, it'd be like looking up the ast name Smith in the phone book, so I'm sure the funeral is going to be hugh.

But what on earth to you say to comfort her family???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• At times there are no words but facial expression of sadness and hugs. Just to be there if they need you. Bring food (casserole) in the coming weeks as form comfort.

One just doesn't know what goes on behind close doors.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• not sure u can say much just be there to comfort them and if they need something be there
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I've read that the only thing to say is, "I'm sorry."

Answer by Bmat at 8:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You don't have to say anything at all. Just your presence and a great big hug will convey whatever needs to be conveyed. I used to always feel compelled to say something, but it is not at all necessary. So just give them lots of hugs and they will know how much you care.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Sorry for your loss.Is there is anything I can do? Please let me know. I will be there for you anytime.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ((HUGS)) are all that is needed. You don't have to say a thing.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• honestly, coming from that experience, nothing you can say to comfort. just being there is enough.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Honestly, there is nothing that you can say to make them feel any better. Just being there is soooo supportive. Just letting them cry and being quiet is very good. A lot of times when we try and say something comforting it just makes them feel worse. Remember Job's friends?

Just be there, and be quiet.

So sorry.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2009