i need to know all about a c section

i am 3 days past my due date and i just found out i may have to have a section. i have been so prepared to deliver vaginally that i never really gave a c section much thought. do you have anything you can tell me about past experiences?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you have one, all I can say is just relax, through proceedure, and have someone there with you to talk to you through it. Makes it easier, and not think about it.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 8:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had a c section with my daughter, however I was knocked out (it was an emergency and I had no drugs) All I can tell you about is the recovery. Take it slow, It takes longer to recover from that then a vaginal birth. Follow your dr's instructions. you'll be back on your feet in no time.

Whatever way you deliver good luck, and Congrats:)
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had to have an emergancy c-section.Theyll shave the area where they cut(right above pubic area). I had already had an epideral beofre that and already had an IV in since I had to be induced so they gave me more pain medicine through that.Takes about 30 mins to get preped for surgery and about another 30 mins for the actual surgery. They put up a sheet thing so you cant see what theyre doing (but I think if you ask they will put a mirror up for you or have someone video it) and your husband/bf or whoever can be right there by you. They had to give a sedative because I was shaking and crying I was so scared, but woke up just seconds befor my son was pulled out. You do have still have the option of cutting the cord. They let you see the baby for a few seconds and then while theyre sewing you back up they go clean the baby and all that and whoever is with goes with them. If you need to know anymore just ask!! Hope this helps!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Look there is ALOT of talk about vaginal birth and how much "better" it is, if the outcome is a healthy baby, please listen to what your doctors advise you to do. I had an emergency C-section after 29 hours of labor. They will numb you from the waist down, and you are awake during the delivery. They will weigh and footprint your kiddo and then clean them up. I was able to breast feed about 30 minutes after he arrived. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days and was able to nurse him whenever I wanted. It was a difficult recovery, but they perforated my bladder during the surgery, as it was Emergency, not planned. You will not be able to lift heavy objects or walk up and down stairs for a couple of weeks. I really think that this allowed me to focus on my baby and not sweat all the stuff I should be doing! I still have the scar, it is not too bad, but bikini days are over. I am out of room, message me if you want!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i had two section one and emergency the other had to be planned due to my split uterus and plecents previa....just dont be stubborn like me and take the pain meds after the section.....and take it easy both times my incision reopened...good luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I had a planned c section and it wasn't as big a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. It actually was easier for me because I could plan and had a date to tell the people that were keeping my older 3 kids. It's still an incredibly special experience for you and your dh. My dh stayed with our son the entire time - after the took him out of me they went into an adjacent room that had a huge glass window so I could see him while they were cleaning him up, etc if I'd been able to stay awake!
    There was very little pain after for the first 24 hours, and then it hit. Take the pain meds, and make sure you get up and around asap.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I was induced a week overdue and just never dilated past 3 the baby's heart rate started fluctuating and so they decided to do c-section after being in labor for 14 hours. I was scared but also knew that this was the only way the baby was coming out and she was in distress. The dr.'s were great and a new tip that I just heard to help with the bowel movement being easier when that time comes is to chew gum while in the hospital and until you have the first bm after the c-section, this helps get the stomach juices flowing and back to normal after being moved around.
    Good luck and take the max amount of time in the hospital that you can to get your rest there, you'll need it!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• OP
    well thank you all for the advice. i'm still nervous but we'll have to wait and see. i've been having fetal monitoring done and the baby is not moving as much as they'd like her to be and her heart rate is steady and does not increase as much as it should when she does move. they want me to come in tomorrow and check it again and talk about possibly inducing and then a c section if that doesn't work. i don't know, either way i'm still nervous but i'm confident the dr's know what they are doing and will make sure whatever we decide is best for the baby.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• samantha~
    Yes a cesarean is a good tool to help, but if you have any worries or concerns, get them all worked out. Do you research, ask your questions, be specific. This is your chance! Make sure you understand that you have options and are making informed decisions.

You can ask:
    How urgent is (are) this intervention(s)?
    What are the risks/benefits?
    Are there alternatives?
    What are the risks/benefits to those?
    How long do I have to decide?

You can take the responses down on paper and then research them from home or get another opinion. It's very important to make the right decision, I understand!
    You want to choose for health and safety first, and it can be hard to know the facts when (if) you're feeling vulnerable & pressured.

This course of action *may* be best for your baby, or... ?? Only you get to decide, though!
    And I do have cesarean info to share, like you asked, will have t
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• first you'll want to find out if the surgery is really necessary. 3 days past "due date" is totally normal, as is 10 days! my son was born 7 days past his "due date", vaginally with no drugs. :)

there are of course some cases where c-section really is necessary and the best thing for you and your baby! you can still have a good experience :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_3530_prepare-cesarean-section.html

a friend of mine had a necessary c-section, and her husband did skin to skin time with the baby afterwards while she was getting closed up. then when she was out of surgery, she nursed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009