Croup in a 21 month old.

We just got back fromr Disney yesterday in the wee hours of the morning. I had made DD a dr. appt the day before from Orlando for cough and fever she had developed while in the parks. Turns out she has croup. She was fine in Disney, I mean tired and not as happy as she could have been but not overly fussy or crying. Yesterday despite plenty of sleep she cried all day and today is going the same way! she is on steroids, she has had 3 out of 6 doses now but seems to feel worse! Should she feel this bad? Should I call the doctor back. she said it would get worse before it got better but I thought she meant the cough...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It gets worse before it gets better. My son had Croup around April. You could always run the hot water in the bathroom and let her breathe in the steam, and fresh air (cool air) helps too. If for some reason you can't get outside, as weird as it sounds, let her stick her head in the freezer. The cool air will relieve some of the restriction and help out a bit too.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What works for us is, taking them in the bathroom and running a really hot shower, to get the bathroom all steamy, and letting them breath in the steam, also, if it's cold outside, take her outside for a few min, to let her breath in the cold air...both extremes work well to open up the lungs...
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The steroids are to keep her throat from swelling. My 3 year old gets croup alot. The steam in the bathroom really helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My 2nd son got croup alot! We would do the bathroom steam, a few times we would take him outside in the cool night air for a little while, put the steam vaporizer on, give plenty of fluids....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Skip the bathroom steam, that makes the cough worse. Take her outside in the cool night air to help the cough. Works much better than steam. Run a cool mist vaporizer while she is sleeping. Give the meds a few days to work. If she is coughing, that is good, that means the meds are helping to break up the mucus in her chest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My DD just had this but luckly not bad enough to need steroids. Our Dr said the cool air is good for them. DD only lost her voice and had a cough at night. But now I think my son has it so we will see how it goes with him.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Steam in the bathroom when she has her attacks. Try this first as it works the most often. If she has stridor with it (which she probably won't since she's on steriods) then either go outside if it's cool or stand in front of the freezer.

The first three days are the worst, then she'll start to get better.

Try to keep her calm during the attacks since getting upset can make it worse.

My oldest seemed to get croup with each cold he ever caught. Use all normal treatments for a cold and give her the recommended medications from the doctor. Croup is not just the cough...it is the entire cold. The croup virus is a strain of the cold viruses.
    Anonymous