Is it colic that my baby has or is it something else

I cant do this anymore it non stop crying all day long.She does not sleep well I thought she had colic and reflux but if a baby has colic do they cry all day I thought they only cry at night?She crys around the clock.She is on zantac and we changed her formula.What else can I do.
On top of the baby being like this I have my 2 year old too.I am so tird and tired of listen to the vacum.I have to put the vacum on sometimes to help calm her down it works sometime and sometimes not.

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 8:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/babys-and-colic.htm

"Since it is not exactly known what causes colic, there is no one quick fix that works for every baby. The most important first step is to check with your baby�s pediatrician to make sure there is no medical cause for your baby�s crying. Once your baby is given a clean bill of health then all you can do is try your best to keep your baby calm and comfortable through an episode of crying. Below are a few methods that may help make your baby feel more comfortable. While a few of these methods may work with some babies, they may not work at all for others."

ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I am so sorry you are going through this!! I was very fortunate...neither one of my two children ever did that...I think it is because God knew He could not trust me with that. Here is some info on Colic:

http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/babys-and-colic.htm

Symptoms:

Loud and continuous crying that can last from one to three hours at a time, with these crying episodes occurring about three or four days a week

Although the crying can happen at any time, most colicky babies cry more in the late afternoon or evening

Baby�s face gets red

Legs are pulled up to the stomach and then may be fully stretched

Feet may be cold

Hands may be clenched

Some babies refuse to eat or become fussy soon after eating

Difficulty falling and staying asleep

Baby may lift their head or legs and pass gas

Baby may seem generally uncomf
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Keep a diary of when your baby cries, along with activities like napping, feeding and playing. Look for patterns, which may offer a small clue to the solutions

If you�re breast-feeding, try to eliminate dairy from your diet along with other foods such as onions, cabbage, cauliflower, spicy foods, caffeine, beans or other gas producing foods. Before eliminating diary from your diet be sure to check with your doctor first. Your doctor may or may not want you to eliminate dairy from your diet or he/she may want you to take calcium supplements

If you�re bottle-feeding, do your best to reduce the amount of air that your baby swallows. Try using a curved bottle or a bottle with collapsible disposable liners

If your baby seems to have a lot of gas, make sure you burp him or her frequently

Don�t overfeed your baby. This may actually make the colic worse. Stick to your normal feeding routine
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you�re bottle-feeding talk with your doctor about changing formulas to a low-allergy type of formula

Take your baby to a part of your home that will provide less stimulation. Bright lights, noise, or a large number of people may further aggravate the colic

Wrap your baby up snugly in a blanket while walking around in a smooth steady motion

Go for a walk in a stroller or for a drive in a car seat

Give your baby a warm bath or place a warm water bottle on your baby�s stomach. Be sure the bottle is not hot!

Try rocking in a rocking chair; or swinging in a baby swing

Give your baby a gentle tummy massage

Some baby�s like hearing rhythmic sounds such as a vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, or cloths dryer and will calm down when they hear these types of sounds
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The most important thing to do is consult your doctor if your baby is still crying after all of his or her basic needs have been met. While there is no test to see if your baby has colic, it is important to rule out any other health problems your baby might have that could be causing the crying. Once your doctor has checked out everything and has given your baby a clean bill of health, your doctor should be supportive and understanding to what you are experiencing with the continuous crying.
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Your doctor may recommend the use of an over the counter anti-gas bubble medicine like Mylicon drops for babies or even a prescription anti-cramp medicine such as Levsin Drops. These medications are taken orally and may or may not help. The opinion of your doctor may not be mentioned in this article, which is why you should keep in mind that there is no proven reason on what causes colic and there is no proven method on treating colic. While you should always treat your child the way your doctor recommends, you may find another method that is better for calming your baby. You will probably hear all sorts of methods that your friends think are the best ways for treating colic. While most parents want to try everything they can, it is best to always ask your doctor first before you try something new. Try to keep in mind that after about three or four months of age the colic will pass and you will have a happy healthy baby.
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Everything I posted came from that website page....

I hope it helps you!!!!
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 9:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You have to keep doing it!

What else can you do? You can relactate. It's not too late to breastfeed. Sometimes moms think there isn't that much difference between formula and breastfeeding and it's a personal choice. Then they have a baby has problems with formula or gets sick. There is a big difference.

For help you can call a La Leche League Leader or Lactation Consultant. www.kellymom.com is a good website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• well, MOST colicky babies aren't crying non-stop - they usually have a certain time they do it but my son did cry ALL DAY and it was uncalmable sessions until he was 5 months old and then all day whining crying til he was 1 year old. Ugh.. mommy I FEEL YOUR PAIN - but he was my first ( and last now!! )so I didn't also have to care for another child - my son is going to be 2 next month and STILL cyrs and whines a lot. I have had SO many tests done to try to figure out what his probelm is and no one can tell me anything - everything comes out negative - I guess he's just a HARD child. but.... I do know that he doesn't tolerate milk or dairy and is on soy but even soy formula for him as a baby didn't help- SO as I can't HELP, I can give you a shoulder to lean on and be here when you want to vent as I can totally relate.. Do you have someone you trust who will help? I wouldn't have made it without my mom!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• By the way - breastfeeding did NOT help my son - it wasn't a choice for me not to breastfeed, I was told to stop after 2 months because he was worse on the breast !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009