Looking to move to San Diego and need advice

I am looking at moving to San Diego. I have visited there and loved it and never saw any "bad" areas. I know every city has areas that are not the best place to live and want to know of any areas to stay away from since I am not close and have to rely on the internet to find a condo/house. Any advice on areas in or near San Diego?
Thanks!

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Travel

• I lived there for 17 years. Avoid Logan Heights. Areas that used to be great but stink now are El Cajon, Spring Valley, parts of Lemon Grove. Anything too close to downtown is pretty rundown . Kensington Heights has better areas than others. Chula Vista, National City, Imperial Beach are all less expensive, but they all sit within 10 miles of Mexican border and are typical of border towns. Some nice areas Pacific Beach esp. for young people. Clairmont is a nice family area. If you still want San Diego county but closer to Riverside and Orange counties parts od Oceanside are nice. Vista and Carlsbad are both nice. Encinitas is great. Obviously some areas are more pricey than others. Still in SD county but more rural setting are Ramona and even Julian in the Laguna mountains.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I lived in San Diego for many years while dh was in the Navy. My favorite place to be was Point Loma, which is right across the freeway from Sea World and close to Cabrillo Point. It is also right near the San Diego Sports Arena. I also liked Clairmont, but National City (we used to call it Nasty City!) and Chula Vista are not the best places to live. The find less expensive housing you may need to head out of the city a bit, La Mesa is nice as is Santee. There is good public transportation all around SD, and some beautiful scenery. It is a costly place to live, food and housing is higher than many places, but the weather is sure fantastic. It is a very transient community as it is largely military, we did have a hard time meeting people outside of the military. PM me if you have any more questions....
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2009