How old was your child when you let him/her sit in the front seat?

DD is 7 almost 8. The other day i let her ride in the front seat when we went grocery shopping. Now, the Publix is right around the corner, litterally. There arent even any lights or intersection on the way. But the whole time, i was so paranoid. So, i told her she has to wait until she is a little older to sit up front. I have friends who always let their child sit up front, they see it as no big deal. Am i being paranoid? Does your child legally have to be a certain age to sit up front? If not, then how old should they be to sit up front?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know in NC they have to be 12 to sit in the front seat. My kids don't sit up front, EXCEPT occasionally I will let my 8 year old sit in the front when we are driving to/from her best friend's house, who lives less than .5 miles from my house. (they usually walk)

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my neices r 8 and 10 they both weigh under 50 lbs and they have to set in booster seats still the air bags will kill them i would say it depeneds on how much she weighs and how tall she is and what state u r in
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You can google it and find out the laws in your state, In Missouri you must be 10 years old and weigh 80 lbs. any lighter and the airbag could kill a child. That being said, I am 42 and CAR seats were not even used when I was a baby, but the law does save lives! My DS is only 4 and BEGS to be in the front seat all of the time, so I understand where you are coming from, it just isn't a good idea!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't think you are. Someone I know doesn't even have their 6 year old in a booster, let's her lay down and sit up front. She never wears a seat belt. Crazy!

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• up here its 13 to sit in the front seat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't know but if you have air bags, your risking their life. It only takes a second, for someone to slam into you, becareful.

My daughter was 11, 100lbs. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't let my 9 year old sit in the front, and he is tall for his age. I will try to put it off until he is 12 if I can!
    He still uses a booster seat, not that he really needs it, but for the belt to be well positioned, yes, he still needs it and I feel like he can see better outside with being a little higher.
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 9:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The law here is 12. I wouldn't take the risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Here the law is over 12. I insist my 11 yr old sit up front with me once - I had just picked him up from sleep away camp and had to tell him that his grandfather had died that morning. No way was I going to let him sit in the back by himself. Plus we needed each other. As far as airbags - we are the same height. Generally, he is in the back with his younger siblings.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• We made it simple middle school equals front seat.My youngest two are 14 months apart so to stop the never ending shotgun debate I made another rule.The third child sits up front on odd numbered days and the fourth child on even number days.This ,of course has led to a birthday,national holiday etc. debate .I told them - or always sit in the back hmmm not so much debate now,

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2009