Teen set on fire for "snitching" by other teens, by other teens. What is a fair punishment?

http://www.wpbf.com/news/21280861/detail.html

Investigators said one of the teens doused Brewer with rubbing alcohol and Mendez flicked a lighter at him in retaliation for reporting an attempted bicycle theft Sunday night.

"This group of kids thought that because the kid may have snitched him out and turned him in because they were trying to steal his dad's bike, they felt, in their mind, it was OK to set him on fire," Sheriff Al Lamberti said.

Detectives said Brewer skipped school and went to the apartment complex to visit a friend at the time of the attack.

"A couple of them last night were laughing about it," Sgt. Steve Feeley said of the suspects.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So that is what went on...This story is disturbing beyond words..these kids are just twisted laughing??!?

I say throw the book at them myself...they are teens and they damn well knew better..just rotten and evil sheesh
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i agree they should be charged as adults..might sound crewl but what they done was crewl.
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• They should definately be charged as adults
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes, they should spend considerable time in jail. Yes, they should be charged as adults.

I have no faith in our legal system, though. *sigh* How is the boy who was burned?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Its pretty bad mancos and they say he will be hospitalized for 6 months I believe?

hope I remembered correctly..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Not very good, his Mom was on the Today show earlier. They wont know how bad for awhile, they have to wait to see about infections and other horrible things the boy will have to endure...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The leader of the pack should be tried as an adult, the rest should be sent to a detention center, or some sort of rehab until they are 21! I cannot imagine this happening, but teenagers are so pressured by their friends, I guarantee that someone came up with the idea and the others were too chicken to speak up, no excuse but I think the leader deserves harsher punishment!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Sad, they need to be punished, and need physicatric help.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• This news really struck a nerve with me, when I saw who had done this I was shocked to say the least. How such young persons can have so much evil inside them to retaliate this way is beyond me. This is mone of the most painful injuries anyone can endure and a lot of them end up dying because of complications. I do hope they get the max so they can laugh in jail for the rest of their young lives!

Answer by older at 9:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• here is some info mancos

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/mother-burned-boy-teens-accused-setting-son-fire/Story?id=8831563&page=1

he has been able to open his eyes and asked for the tubes to be pulled out :( ..there is still chance of prgan failure and such

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2009