Do you hate unannounced company?

I'm am getting so irritated with my parents coming over almost every single day without calling first! They come to see the baby, which is usually napping when they come. Or they just come at a bad time! Yesterday they came when dh and I were trying to deal with my other child's school issue and the baby was napping. I almost wasn't going to get the door but my dh said it was rude of me not to. I don't want to be mean about it. But do they have to come everyday? I can't take it anymore! How would you deal with this?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• BE KIND, FIRM AND HONEST. Just tell them, I need you to call me before you come. I have a schedule to keep and don't want any confusion.

My parents are in Heaven now RIP, I wish I had that problem. Appreciate the fact that they care. You have to look at things both ways: What if they never saw the grandkids, what if they never came around. Get some you time while they are visting.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• ooooh, i am SO with you!!! i think, when someone has kids (especially a baby) that it's simply protocol to call first! sadly, i have no advice, because i'm in the same situation!!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Trust me. I get it! I fucking hate it. And it doesn't matter who it is. It could be my best friend and i would still make her feel unwelcome.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 9:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Nope I love company, but we don't get alot of it, so its always welcomed. I think if it happened all the time it would get to be a pain.
    My best advice is to just tell, be up front, and just say "hey we love having you guys over, but sometimes its a really bad time for us, would you mind just calling ahead first to make sure we are home or not busy or that the baby isn't sleeping"
    Hopefully they are they type of people would admire your honesty and not be offended by it
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Oh that would bug me too. I dont know because my parents are not like that but what I usually tell any unexpected company is somthing like..."Ok come in for a few minutes but I need to be somewhere and I have to get ready." or "Ok I want to see you but Iater because ____--. I will call you." I dont know.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I hate unnanounced company, too. Thank goodness we don't know anyone nearby who just drops in on us.
    In years past when I used to get company all the time I didn't mind it on many days because I was so active, but when I began to want some quiet times I began to ignore the knocks and doorbell when I felt like it. I don't feel it is rude to ignore when it is rude for people to arrive without an invitation or asking in the first place.
    Of course, I asked my closest friends to call first from a certain point on, when I explained to them my desire to have some quiet times. They were very understanding and we still got together a lot.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2009