What is the rationale behind believing in both evolution and creation?

I know it may be a sensitive question for some...but if you believe this, what is your reasoning? If you do not think they are compatible, please explain why. For those who don't believe in both, do you think saying "both are true" is a copout?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The evidence for evolution is overwhelming. You would have to be a fool to not believe in evolution. So if you want to believe in creationism you have to try to make the two fit together to make sense of the world as you know it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree with the pp. Evolution is pretty much a fact although maybe not completely as many sciences rarely are....I hope that made sense. Anyway. One believes that something or some divine intelligences "set off" the big bang. Meaning a divine intelligence made it happen to begin with and then life evolved from there according to divine plan. I hope that makes sense. I believe in both creation and evolution.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• If you believe that God created it all, and it has changed/evoled since then (people have gotten taller, certain animals have become extinct, new breeds of dogs have been bred, etc.) then that would a combination. You can also believe that God used the ideas of evolution to create, build, design things to happen in a certain way. Maybe the reason that you don't see fish with legs is because God thought that was a bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree with anon 9:52, I agree with both also and that's exactly why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well said Anon 9:52 !!
    Sarah1220

Answer by Sarah1220 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think there is evidence of both. For me there is a great deal of evidence that the Gods exist and don't understand how anyone could feel that this is all accidental. However there is a great deal of physical and scientific proof of evolution. I don't understand why people feel it can't be both. I mean, no one has ever said THIS IS HOW GOD CREATED. The gods have always used tools of nature to exact their feelings on earth. So, why would this be different? I think the people that tend to be against the idea the most are Christians, yet, their god has used nature over and over to change things to his liking. (the flood, locusts, red tide, rain of sulfur) So why is it such a stretch to think that he used Evolution as well. Since most Christians also agree that the 6 days of creation are not a literal 24 hour days, it leaves much room for creator assisted evolution. For me it just makes sense.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i constantly wonder why people are captivated by the idea of there being a higher intelligence that systematically set in motion the creation of life on earth as we know it. personally, i find it breathtakingly amazing that conditions for life to "become" were at all possible, and yet, life did in fact spring forth. it has ever changed since, and we have continued to grow within out species, as have many others (as anon pointed out)
    i absolutely believe that creationism is a response by the christian community, to defend their beliefs in the ever growing wake of scientific discovery and advancement. to achieve some semblance of rationality which would obfuscate the ever growing doubts about the legitimacy of their higher power theory. as a faith based religion, by definition, christianity requires one to believe in something that can not be seen, heard, touched, tasted, or felt (in a physical sense).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• as where, evolution is all around us. CAN be seen heard, touched, tasted and felt.
    i do not believe that "god" created science- that is the most asinine concept yet to be laid on the table. yet another example of the insecurity of those who claim to be so religiously sound, and yet grasp at straws to explain the miracles that have been debunked.
    evolution IS a miracle, if you wish to look at it in that light. but not one set in motion by a "creator"...

no, i do not believe that the two ideals can coexist. not for anyone who is slightly enlightened. i do not believe it a copout either. it is a poor attempt at evolution within a specific religious sect. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I believe in both, basically what anon 9:52 and Sabrina said.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree with ObbyDobbie =) Evolution is absolutely astounding, I can't wait to study it when I go to college. It's so exciting to study what's in store for humans a few thousand years from now.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2009