Question about rolling over

OK, I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot ladies, but here we go! So, my DD is almost 5 months old and can roll from front to back, but she hasn't rolled from back to front yet. I'm not worried about it, but my question is, I always thought that you shouldn't help them to roll over, as this was kind of 'cheating', doing it for them instead of letting them work it out for themselves. But, now I've just read in one of my baby books that you should help them to practice by helping them to roll over. OK, I know I'm being a complete nut, but what do you all think, help them or not? x

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I helped mine when she could go one direction and not the other. She still never did it on her own until she was ready to. She didn't roll long, then started to crawl and then walk all between 7-8 & a week before turning 10 mo. Enjoy the time they are immobile because once they are it's all over from there!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I would let my son grab my finger and "help" that way - just by letting him hold my hand gave his tummy muscles strength also - he never really did it that much anyway - I think guiding them is fine, not LETTING them and doing it always for them is different though and letting them get a little frustrated also is ok, it helps them keeping trying -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I helped mine by pulling their arms straight so they knew how they'd be able to roll over instead of getting caught by an arm/elbow in the way. But that was going front to back; both of mine rolled back to front first, so I never had to help them that way.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My dd is 4 1/2 months and I've been helping her lately, she hasn't done it on her own yet because her arm is always in the wrong position and she can't get past it...I think helping is fine! It helps her get the right idea.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2009