ghetto trash : is it racist?

I was watching Survivor. A man use the term GHETTO TRASH. Another black contestant thought it was racist. what do you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes. It indicates he thinks people from the Ghetto are trash.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• no more racist then the term Trailer Trash
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I watch it too. I won't say it is always intended as racist, although I find it difficult to envision a circumstance where it isn't. But, in that particular case, the guy who said it did intend it that way. He had no basis for calling her that except the color of her skin.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• It's not racist unless it's aimed toward African Americans. You would never hear someone say the term (as above) "trailer trash" is racist. It has nothing to do with race, there could be black and white people living in the ghetto as well as black and white people living in trailers! Just shows the ignorance of this person on the show.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The way he used it was racist! He is ignorant and I'm glad he got voted off!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think his explanation was golden, she is from the ghetto (her words) and he thought she was acting like trash. I have thought the same thing about white trash...but then I would be racist. If you are white and you are acting like trash, there ya go! I don't see anything racist about that. I have seen black trash, I have seen Mexican trash, it's all in how you present yourself....I think that there is a sensitive button there that shouldn't be and it's easy to say OH you are being racist, when you are just calling out the obvious. It's all in how you present yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes it is but if you want to use some peoples logic then no .
    It is just like calling someone white trash but according to many people (alot on here) that is not racist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think the term ghetto in general is being used in society to replace the "n" word.

Yes, I think it's racist.
    Anonymous

• A bit, yeah. Depends on the context and who it's directed to. I could call a random object, such as a digital camera, ghetto trash, is that racist? It's like people saying "That's so gay!" Some people just don't use words like that in its proper way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

That is bull.
    I get called ghetto because I live in the ghetto and GASP Im white!
    I dont "act " black either.
    FYI people still freely use the "N" word .
    Noone replaces it.
    Ask my cousin who is in the klan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2009