Dreamy, spacy girls have ADD?

My 13 year old for years has been spacey- easily loses things, fails to turn in assignments,write them down, and do homework. Her grades are plummeting (all based on the above). She plays sports and has friends. When she is focused she does well. I am a very involved parent, - we have met with teachers. Now we are starting her seeing a counselor, and ADD was mentioned. If I look at checklists for girls with ADD, she has all the symptoms.
Do any of you have girls with diagnosed ADD? What was the treatment? Did it help? I do not like the idea of meds-

anniesally

Asked by anniesally at 10:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have add i was on meds for a while when i was a kid and it helped but ow that im an adult i stoped taking them cus they make me feel "funny" but its goinig to be hard to control without meds but it is possible my husband is the one who really keeps me in line and focused but he constantly has to redirect me its frustrating but in time you get used to it
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My daughter is the same way, except she does not like sports. She loves tv, reading and talking mostly, debating I should say.

They say she has add, I put her on meds, she stopped eating, and could not sleep. I am working on it now, I really don't know what to do. :(
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I was like that and FINALLY at 30 was diagnosed with ADD - I Tried to read and study and my mind or brain just wouldn't do it - I still drift off and have to reread and my mom used to think it was boredum but it ISN"T! There are therapies they can try with her if meds is not your choice-
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Hi Maxsmom- can you tell me what worked? So far we have not done official diagnoses yet- just one counseling visit. I am eager to hear of your experiences.

Also if I at some point am told that meds will be best I will consider it- I would just like to know what will work aside from that. At the moment I am just so tired and stressed by this (never mind how my daughter feels..)
    anniesally

Answer by anniesally at 11:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009