My 5 1/2 month old is doing ALOT of chewing.

Everytime she drinks a bottle or even eats her baby food she is chewing really good.
I was wondering even tho she hasnt cut a tooth yet would it be ok to try out a finger food like those gerber fruit puffs things?

countrygirls422

Asked by countrygirls422 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure, you could try. She might not have the tongue coordination to keep them in her mouth though. But I'd say you should probably not give her any other finger foods than that. She's just too young to mash food efficiently. Maybe around seven or eight months you can start giving her more substantial finger foods. For now, try the puffs, get a bunch of teething rings, and feed her 1st or 2nd stage baby food =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• She has been on 1st foods for almost 2 months and she goes nuts LOL. I just figured Id ask since those are so soft and disolve . She puts all her toys in her mouth and doesnt make a mess eating she just chews then swollows LOL
    Thanks. Ill go ahead and give them a try . :)
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• She could start with mashed banana.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My 7 month old does really good with the fruit and yogurt puffs. He also doesn't have any teeth yet.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You know what is a GREAT first finger food for that age? Baby Mum Mums. They're rice rusks and they melt in their mouths a little quicker than the puffs (plus there are FAR fewer ingredients to be wary of). In addition, you can give them the whole rusk which is much easier for a baby that age to hold in their fist (versus trying to pickup the tiny little puffs). Mum Mums are safe for any baby who has started eating solids. I started my daughter on them at 5 mo. but she really didn't have the hang of them until closer to 6 mo. They're also great for traveling with....to entertain baby or tide them over while you're out and about. You can get them at Wal-mart and Babies R Us. Some grocery stores carry them but not all.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2009