Anyone have 'Your baby can read' ? What do you think?

I've had this set for my son for about 2 months now. He just turned 7 months old. He actually started really paying attention to it about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if you have used it or know anyone who has, what were the results later on?
And if you haven't used it, would you?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The sooner they learn a love to read the better for the child. They will do great in school.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I've seen that advertised on t.v. and it reminds me of the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) that is used with my autistic son who will be turning 3 next week. I think that the Your Baby Can Read is a great thing if you want to increase and enhance communication skills in your baby/child. I really don't see any negatives to using it.
    momof3_dll

Answer by momof3_dll at 11:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• i wouldt , form whjat i ahve read the progam teaches them to mememorized the word and not phonics. i had to learn english and i used phonics. i emna if someone was showing me a word over and over again of couurse am gona mmemorized, but am i gonaa know whjta the word means and how to write it? i diont think so.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yeah I think it's just sight words which can be good if used in combination with phonics. Starfall.com is free and my son (18 months) has already learned some of his letters. I think you could accomplish the same thing with flashcards of pictures with words written under them. I think it's a high priced system that is probably not worth what you can do at home for free or for much less.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What is piwife saying?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• lol...We wanted to get it for our son but he would NOT sit still to watch anything on TV or DVD's.. too bad cause it looks like it helps in area;s
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't think it's anything you can't do on your own without the program. I am teaching my baby the same way I taught my older kids - and both my 8 and 9 year old are AG identified and do very well in school.
    I would love to see studies showing how well it works years down the road, or if it makes any difference at all - I would guess not. There are the studies of kids who went to preschool vs kids who didn't and any disparity between the two groups is nil by the time they reach 2nd-3rd grade. I imagine the difference between Your Baby can Read kids would disappear even sooner.

Answer by missanc at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009