Should PUBLIC Education Be Allowed Suffer At The Hand Of Religion?

should a parent be held accountable for school work left incomplete due to over scheduling children in religious education?
it is one thing to instill morals that will last a life time, the difference between right and wrong, the ever turning wheel- what goes around, eventually comes around. or, for the religious ones "you reap what you sew". it is another entirely, to expect the public schools to allow interference in performance through such excuses as church meetings- in the real world, what they learn now, will be applied to their grown up lives. is it fair to take time away from learning much needed skills, so that they will learn to practice religion?
if it is true (according to the good book) that "they will see the ways of evil men, and turn to him", then they will choose right from wrong, if those morals have been instilled.
however, they will not learn arithmetic, and literacy skills without devoted time...

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't agree that public education is suffering at the hands of religion. I think that children who practice faith and go to public schools make the schools better, not worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• True Grace, so true. LOL
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• perhaps to redirect- should the parents be held responsible for inadequacies caused by over scheduling, or should the children. it most certainly does have an impact- i am not stating that a public school suffers from children of religious background attending. not at all, please stay within the context of the question.
    if something interferes with completion of work, such as religious activities- it causes an already meager education to suffer.

i was not debating the quality of public education in America, but rather, the impact that organized religion has on the educational experience of those confined within its bounds. and whether or not the children, or parents should be held responsible. often it is the children who suffer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it comes from what you said on another post about this same issues.
    If there are exceptions for one, there are exceptions for a group, and it can be chaotic.

Just like, as an adult, i can take Yule, Samhain etc, off from work. No I can't be denied the time off, or be fired for taking it. But I don't have to be paid for taking it off.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I agree...

"I had to go to bible study Wednesday night" is NOT a good excuse to neglect one's homework.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I really do not care as long as it does not have a direct affect on my child. For example, if the class had to turn in a paper on Tuesday, and a mother were to approach the teacher and ask if her child, due to religious or other reasons, could turn the paper in on Friday, I would not care even though my child had to turn it in on Tuesday. As long as there is an agreement between the teacher and parent, I would not care, and I am not talking about regular scheduled church meetings, I am talking about some thing out of the ordinary. But then again that is between the parent and the teacher.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I don't know what you are talking about . . . It seems the other way around to me. Over scheduling of sports, etc., used as an excuse by people to not attend church or religious education classes.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 1:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• You are really upset about that other question!

In my opinion, there is nothing more important than my daughters faith in God. So Bible study comes before homework in our house. We plan our time and we don't shirk our responsibilities. But if you want to know what we value the most it is the Lord.

But I respect your opinion.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• public school education is effing up all in its own--religion can only help
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, there is nothing more important than my daughters faith in God. So Bible study comes before homework in our house. We plan our time and we don't shirk our responsibilities. But if you want to know what we value the most it is the lord.

so, am i correct in understanding that it is more important to peoples of faith that they impart their beliefs to their children, than it is that their children receive the proper skills to survive, and thrive as a functional member of society?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2009