Can I get my 11 week old to sleep on his own?

My baby is 11 weeks and will only take a nap if I am holding him or if I take a nap with him. If he falls asleep and I lay him down he is up within 10 minutes, help!!! I can't get anything done and I am going crazy! I know one day I will miss holding him when he is this little but I can't sit around on my ass and nap all day. I s he too young to start training him to fall asleep on his own? All the books say that under 4 months they cant calm themselves down. So do I need to just stick it out until he is 4 months or can I start now? I feel terrible when he cries but I am setting up some real bad habbits. One more thing, at night he is fine and sleeps in his bassinette just fine by himself it's just crazy! Please help me!!!

natvitty

Asked by natvitty at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first thought would have been burps or indigestion but since he is sleeping okay at night, it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't during the day. (I was going to suggest putting him to sleep on a slight angle...in a bouncer, swing or put a small pillow under one side of his crib mattress). However, since he is sleeping okay at night, my second thought would be that you're not putting him down early enough for naps. If he is getting overly tired, then he'll have more trouble sleeping. Also, you might want to try re-creating the nighttime routine (if you have one) and conditions. I taped construction paper to my daughter's window around that age to make it darker in her room for daytime naps. That seemed to help. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well, do you have a swing where he can be wrapped all cozy in a shirt of yours:? you are all he knows as comfort, I know its hard and you need to get things done. Believe me! From a mother to a colicky infant!! maybe you could "wear" him? in a snuggie holder? or a sling?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Honey I have the same issuse I have tried EVERYTHING and I really mean everything I think it is really justa matter of time. My little one is also 11wks so I am right there with you
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 12:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Go to Amazon.com right now and buy the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution." Pantley's method is the best for getting a newborn to nap on his/her own. It won't happen overnight, but with consistent use of the method, your baby will gently learn how to sleep without you holding him.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• For my kids - I used to put a small silkie blanket in bed with them that I wore under my shirt when they were awake, so it had my scent. And I had a sound and movement activated "hearbeat" bear that mimicked sounds they heard in the womb - kinda like white noise. Those two things were enough to soothe my kids into sleeping in their own cribs by themselves.

Answer by missanc at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2009