How do you get your little one to go #2 in the potty?

She's been potty training for about 6 months doing perfect with pee and now is holding the poop until she is constipated cause she doesn't like to release it on the pot. What do you do for this?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 11:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We had this problem with my son. Even doing what above people did would not work for him. He is stubborn. So we used a little laxative and let him come to it own his own time, while still talking to him. As he started using pooping on the potty we praised him. He now does it on his own but it was something he had to come to terms about it. He was scared to poop and would tell us that. It is a big thing! He is doing great and has no problems!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• hmmm this is a tough one. When you see them go off into a corner, squatting, or straining, it's time to run to the potty. My son was holding it too like that and he's 4! They develop a problem if they do this I forgot what it was called, but it stretches out the colon and does nerve damage, and they can't feel the poop coming out. So it comes out involuntarily. Give her a laxative or fruit juices that will make her poop. I give my son a fruit snack every time he poops in the toilet and that works like a charm. He's never afraid to tell me he needs to poop.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• When she goes to the corner to "hide", pick her up and put her on the toilet. She will go sooner or later and once she sees that it's nothing to worry about she will be fine. If you have a little potty chair, that might help. Sometimes the big toilet is a little overwhelming and scary for the little ones.
    I had one that cried his eyes out while I made him stay on the toilet, but once he pooped, he was SO proud and decided that it wasn't anything to worry about.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2009