My 16 month old is throwing temper tantrums??

Our 16month old is throwing temper tantrums, she is kicking & screaming. When we change her diaper, I try to give her something to distract her, but nothing is working. She is kicking and she won't stop. She has almost kicked me in the face. She has started waking up at 5:30am, when she usually doesn't get up until 7am. She's crying, I don't know if she is having a bad dream or what. But we haven't got much sleep. She does have 4 teeth trying to come in, could that be it??? She has been very difficult here recently!

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teething causes my angel to become a child I don't want to be around. The teeth can very well cause a lot of what is going on. I would treat her for being uncomfortable with the teeth. Like some Motrin or Tylenol and then an ice cube wrapped in a washcloth with a rubber band to hold it in place. When my LO starts acting out I give her some medicine and she is a completely different child in about 30 mins.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The teeth could be why she is waking early and being extra cranky, but the screaming and kicking at diaper time is a discipline issue. She need to know that YOU are in charge, and any amount of tantrum-throwing will get her NOWHERE fast! Hold her legs down when she starts flailing them around and tell her the forbidden word "NO" =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• sure, it could be the teeth that's making her wake up earlier than normal. 5:30 happens to be my son's time to wake up for the day..arg... lol!! but the tantrums during changing seemed to be at the same age my son did that - he's 23 months and still fights me on it but not nearly like when he was 16-17 months old... I would have to hold his arms and body down with my legs to change him - I refused to run around and chase him and try to change him during that no way!! Nothing distracted my son either, we did books, stickers, snacks etc.. nope.. let them fight but don't let them win,she'll give up - maybe..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yeah, I've been ready to pull my hair out here recently. She's usually very sweet, but recently shes been a little terror. When I tell her "NO", it doesn't even faze her now. I almost feel like she is going through the terrible two's early. If she doesn't get her way, its non-stop kicking, you would think she would get tired. But she just keeps on....
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 12:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Its the start of her independence. My son is like that too! I don't get to just say NO and he listens. I have to remove him, he goes back, remove him again, time outs, time in his room for whining or not listening.. but just start and stay strong.. I know it gets old.. But i'm here if you want to vent about it!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Thanks, maxsmom11807!! This is a difficult age for them I know, but its so frustrating on both ends. Is he kicking also??
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yeah, he used to kick me and still sometimes trys. but I will put him in time out for it now, I started timeout at 16 month, although I don't know how much punishment it actually is, he smiles and sings while he's there..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My son is also 16 months and we go through the exact same thing. All he does in cry and whine. From the minute I pick him up for daycare and put him in the car. Its crazy because he doesn't act like that at daycare. They tell me he's so nice and quiet. I believe he saves his tantrums for me and his father. He gives me a hard time dressing him...I get kicked all the time. If he doesn't get his way he starts screaming and trying to hit me..he starts throwing things. When I put him in time out its the worst. He yells as if I'm torturing him. (I wonder what our neighbors think) Feeding time is the WORST!!! Everyday is a struggle to feed him. Its as if he never wants to eat. Right when I sit him in the highchair he starts rubbing his eyes like he's so exhausted and starts crying at the top of his lungs and flinging his food across the dining room. I just pray for PATIENCE everyday.
    Anonymous

• The phase you're referring to, is what many in the past has called 'the terrible two's', mine all started around 18 months old. If you stick to your guns and your discipline methods they usually are out of it by age two. As for the nighttime thing, two out of the four of mine had what the doctor called 'night terrors', something not too uncommon in toddlers.

It is undetermined what causes night terrors, according to the doctor some children just get them but they usually grow out of them... the two of mine that had them did and so did a friend of mines daughter that had them, but it does take awhile.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2009