Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the courts terminate a fathers rights?

My sons father hasnt paid child support for more then 21/2 years. He still sees him on visitations but I would rather my child not see the father at all. I was wondering could I take the father to court and have them terminated his rights because he hasnt paid child support? Every time I try and get the courts involved he somehow has moved or something happened to his phone and he has gotten a new number leaving me with nothing to give the state. Help!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I agree with you. I'm almost in that same situation. My sons father has not paid child support in a very long time. The only time he pays is when the courts send him a letter saying that there going to take his DL. Then sometimes he still refuses so they send him another letter saying hes going to go to jail. So what he does is just pay enough so it doesn't happen. My sons dad drinks everyday. I never know if he is sober or not. It scares me to let him leave with him. So his step mother comes and picks him up. I do know this my son loves his dad very much and if I took him away from him he would hate me forever. So just be careful in whatever decision you make. IN my feelings the courts will just be a waste of time. He will still be able to get away with whatever he wants to do.

    Answer by Jamiewebb at 1:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • Just don't let him see his kid till he go's to court. If you think he is dangerous and have proof he is, then that would be the only reason they would take away his rights.
    Money is not a good reason.

    Answer by gammie at 12:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • I really dont have any proof that hes dangerous. The reason I left him though was because he was selling pills but that was back in 07 and I have no proof he still does. I "think" he might be because as far as I know he doesnt work and is living with his GF with her 3 children. So Im not really sure what he does for money and that would be a good source of money to support them. And I rather not go back to court only because I am unemployed at the moment and dont have money for it, blah!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • Child support and visitation/parenting time are two completely separate legal issues. You cannot withhold visitation for nonpayment, just as he can't stop paying because of a lack of time w/ the child.
    In my state, it's not possible without solid proof of something negative directed at the child. Without that, the courts do not allow a custodial parent to bastardize their child(ren).

    Answer by KLBrown at 1:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • NO!! You cannot withhold visitation because he hasn't paid child support, you can end up in jail for not following a court order. Child support and visitation are 2 different issues. A court will not terminate parental rights for nonpayment of child support. You have to have solid proof that your child is being abused by his/her father for the courts to even consider a termination of parental rights. If he is not harmful to the child, I do NOT recommend keeping the kids from him. My son hasn't seen his father in 13 years and it kills me to know that his father decided he wasn't worth the effort to have a relationship with my son. I could care less about the child support, I would rather my son see his father but that isn't happening. The only reason my ex pays support is because he knows I will report him to child support and have him held in contempt.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • this is for the answer above...I personally would rather have the rights terminated then the father see my child at all. You may call me selfish I dont care but I cant stand having the father in my sons life. I would much rather have the man Im going to marry adopt my child. and yes I should have thought about that before having my son and believe me if I could go back with the knowledge I know now I would have done things alot different. But for my sons father to seel drugs to support that someone you would want in your child/rens lives?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

  • I have looked into a little bit myself. They say that visitations and child support are two different things. But not paying child support for that long, he could get in trouble by the courts and may end up with jail time. I would go that route.

    Answer by taurusgirljp at 7:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009