Do you know any rites or ceremonies for a girl's first period?

My 11-year-old dd just got hers.
Any ideas on how to make it special for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Haven't heard of any special rites for a first period. My mom also called everyone and told them about it. Horrifying! She also drew some weird diagram of a uterus and really didn't tell me what I needed to know about periods and growing up. I already knew about the sex part. lol

I googled rites for a first period and Perfect Pads has a first period ceremony that seems pretty neat.
    niamibunni

Answer by niamibunni at 10:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• OMG< God bless you. My daughter got her period at 11 and she is a new person. The harmones go wild(she is not sexual well at least I pray she is not-but she developed and all that stuff), and they don't know how to control their stinky attitude. ;) They say at 16 they calm down, oh Lord, I have 3 years to go.

Just let her know you are here, and be sure she knows that there will be a lot of changes to follow, she is becoming a young lady. My daughter would have flipped if I celebrated it. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well, I don't know if you are talking something religious or just a celebration. So please don't be upset if I offend you, I am not trying to. When I got my first period my mother took me out to dinner and it was the first time I was allowed to order from the adult menu. I felt so grown up at 10 years old. She made it very special for me by treating me like an adult for a day. Even though I have always been lacking in the chest she took me shopping for my first bra. It was great being treated like an adult even if it was only for a day. 2 years later my mother fell ill and I had to grow up very fast so that day with her is one of my happiest memories with my mother.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• PS, I have no idea what you could do for today's young woman. I have all boys and all nephews, so I will not be going through the first period and all that. Instead I have the first chest hair and boy things to look forward to.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Well be lucky bc i started mine when i was 8 almost 9 very young..
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yep the city set off fireworks. I started on the 4th of july...how ironic. My mom didn't do anything special except buy me a box of pads.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking of something private with a poem and candles, maybe flowers.

DD is very excited and even told her dad.

Going out to dinner sounds like a good idea too. Want it to be memorable and special.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is only 9 months old but I plan to do a special day with just the two of us. Not really celebrating but just a special time together KWIM? Please whatever you do, do not call and tell everyone. My mom did that to me and it was SO EMBARRASSING and it was really no one elses business anyways.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• What?!?! Never even thought about this. I guess because I only have Boys right now!
    Anonymous

• I don't have a daughter, but I remember watching the Cosby Show and thinking if I ever did I'd do what Claire Huxtable did. She proclaimed a celebration of womanhood when one of the girls had their first period. They spent the day doing "grown up lady things" shopping and out to lunch, I can't remember all the details, but I thought I would take a daughter to get her hair and nails done, out to lunch and maybe shopping for a new outfit.......or at least some of that. After all the best part of being a woman is getting to be a little pampered!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2009