when is it ok to start feeding baby cereal to my son. right now i do it at night, just a little for filler so he sleeps better but other than that i was just curious.

Asked by gilbertsmommy at 10:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How Old Is your son.!
    I started feeding my daughter baby food at 3 1/2 months, she ate everything.
    I say as long as they can sit up and eat with a spoon support their head.

Answer by Schramko at 10:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• studies show the earlier solids are introduced the more likely you are to see allergic reactions. Their digestive systems at that age are meant solely for breastmilk. Formula babies often have digestion issues with formula.

• You could give him a little cereal on a spoon when he's around 4 months if he's a healthy, normal-sized boy. Since he's already had it in his bottle, he's most likely not allergic, so you'll just want to give him a little bit to practice eating off the spoon. He doesn't need the solids yet, so this is just for practice & a little variety in his life.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• cereal or any kind of baby food is not advised untill- 4-6 months. A baby's degestive system isn't mature enough untill then. There are other factors that contribute as well, baby needs to be able to hold his head upright, the tongue-thrust reflex is gone, and seems to be ready for more food.

The reason why you start with cereal is b/c it's less likely to be causing allergies. Allow 3-5 days between new foods to rule out allergies, and start with single ingridient foods.

Cereal through the bottle is a No No. Whats the point? If he can't eat it from a spoon, he's not ready for it.

Since you're already giving it at night, morning would be the next step. And that is also the best time to try new foods, if it doesn't agree with baby's tummy, you'll know before bedtime.

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You can start him on cereal at about 3 - 4 months. If he pushes it out with his tongue he's not ready. Wait a couple of weeks and try again.

Answer by miss.dee_dee615 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i didn't start until 4 1/2-5 months but i've heard 3 is okay.

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I fed my first 2 at 3-4 months, and they did fine. But now I have a 4 mo. old with DS and its a little different, but he likes cereal fine, he still spits it out but thats one thing for a DS baby.. good luck. Try from a spoon in the morn, usually better..:)

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 4:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I introduced my daughter to cereals when she was 5 months old when the Dr said it was okay to do so.

Answer by iri24 at 5:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2008