What did your baby get for their first Christmas?

My daughter will be turning 1 the day after Christmas (uck). We can't afford much of anything for her this year, and it's making me feel especially guilty. I know she won't remember this Christmas or her first birthday on the 26th, but the guilt is just unbearable. I've already signed up for an adoption here, and I know my parents will get her a few things. So yeah. What did your kids get for their first Christmases?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• Not much, we really felt it was a waste of money to make a huge Christmas for a baby that already had everything he could ever want or need. We bought a couple bath toys, a new bathrobe, a pair of shoes, because he needed them, and that was it. He got toys from other people. Also, we don't start giving them a lot at Christmas until they turn three, before that they have no idea about it, and are happy with a fun day.
    We don't go over board with Christmas anyway because we have huge families that our kids already have too many things that after Christmas and birthdays they have twice as many.
    Don't worry Momma, your little one will be happy as a little clam, even if she gets nothing, that is just the nature of babies. She really doesn't understand any of it, so STOP feeling guilty.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Just get her simple toys, cheap ones. Wait until tax return time to get her the good stuff. She'll have more fun with the boxes and wrapping paper than anything else. My daughter turns one this month and she probably wont be getting much either.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Babies don’t know the difference between what they get and what the other kids get (not that it should matter). If you can spare any money, put in it in a college fund.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The nice thing about babies is $10 can go a long way. Go to the Dollar Tree and buy a few board books, a rubby ducky, other little safe age appropriate trinkets. Get a few dollar bin things at Target and you'll have a lot for a little.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms I feel so sorry for your kids, you don't do gifts, don't do makeup, don't do shampoo. Ugh. Poor kids.
    Anonymous