Do you know anyone who still freely uses the "n" word?

My mom uses it, and I get on her case every time. She tries to justify the use of it by saying "But white people can be 'n' too!" My grandpa also uses it to refer to black people. I'm ashamed of it, but he's in his 80's and he grew up in a very different world. I can't even bring myself to say it out loud, it just sounds so dirty to me, and I can cuss up a storm if I need to.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh yeah! Around here is rather prevalent! I hate it. My BIL uses it all the time! I live in an area where you still have Black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods... It's a cluster of small towns and out of the 5 towns 2 are around like 95% black and the others are all 95% white. The black people in the area use the word CONSTINTLY!!! And the majority of older whites (30+) do as well. My generation is really the only one that tries to censor... The rest just don't care. It's really sad!

**On a side note, this area also has it's own KKK chapter - largest in the state... So, again, words like that are common. I really hate living in an area where color comes first, but that's just the way these small towns are. If you aren't the white Christian daughter of a hard working good named man, you are seen as trash... It's a fight for everyone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• The only time I hear it is when a black person is talking to another black person. I've even heard my cousin, who is black, use it to refer to her non black friends calling them "my n****r" IDK I don't like the word either and would never use it, no matter how much I couldn't stand a person.
    Anonymous

• Only on here!!! Its crazy that the word retard can get ya kicked off ... but n****r wont even get you warned! SAD!
    Anonymous

• My landlord throws it around all the time. But he is in his 80s that is just how he was brought up.
    itsnotaboutm765

Answer by itsnotaboutm765 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Like other posters, I only hear it from black people talking to one another or read it when I am on here. No one in my very mixed family, no matter their age uses it and none of my friends either.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My students all use it to refer to eachother. They say when the word is spelled with an "a" at the end, it's ok and being used to refer to one of your friends. I'm offended by it whether or not it's "a" or an "er" at the end, but they say it's their word, they know how they are using it, and it's none of my business!
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Nope.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes . I use it daily so does my husband and everyone in his family.
    Some folks just are .
    Anonymous

• Yep, a lot of my family and family friends, mostly the older crowd, not a lot of my personal friends, my age (mid 20's) do.
    And most my black neighbors use it referring to each other as well.
    Anonymous

• Some of my black friends use it amongst themselves and they really shouldn't. It sets a bad example for their children and though they use it as slang, it's still demoralizing.
    auntplushy

Answer by auntplushy at 1:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2009